Malay words in common usage

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by StumpyHussar, Sep 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Malaysia (Burma) is a huge country and as we ran the place for yonks the language has entered our culture in the following ways:

Signifikan - Significant
    Diskrimianasi - Discrimination
    Amuk - Obvious (Amok)
    Kicap (which means sauce) - Ketchup
    Orangutan - Man of the jungle

Malay words

However a chum of mine who is ex scaley and not to be trusted, has claimed that the phrase "I'm in the ooloo" or if I'm in the middle of Soltau and someone asks "where are you" and you said "fcuk knows I'm in the ooloo" claims that 'ooloo' means the jungle. The interweb doesn't support this and I think he's lying.

Help me destroy this chap, he's only little and smells of poo (his Mum dresses him funny). need ammunition quick.

2. Stumpy - sorry. He's right although more commonly spelt ULU.

3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

He's not only right about Ulu, but I seriously doubt that two of the words that you give as orignating in Malay

Signifikan - Significant
    Diskrimianasi - Discrimination

are really Malay in origin - it is far more likely that they are English words that have undergone adoption by Malay. I will check with an OED when I get a chance :)

4. I've also seen it spelt as Ulhu... and Uhlu

5. In Malay, "ulu" actually means "up river" (which is where the jungle is - hence in common parlance used to mean "jungle")

6. msr

msr LE

7. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Stumpy - not sure why Burma is in brackets, not same place as Malaysia?

8. Ahhh so he was telling the truth! That's going to be hard to swallow but the way he said it it was with 'o's' nut 'u's'. I hate 'o's' so at least I've got that over him :?

I finished reading the internet yesterday and now some of you are telling me that it might not be true? Blimey thought this was God's gospel just have to go back to hating the non teeth arm Signals for a living :D

9. Like that description sounds sound (er).

10. You're right being a mong doesn't help my career. Sorry :cry:

11. Why are you looking at Malay words? Have you looked at indian words? Since you had a large slice of empire in india for longer, all sorts of phrases with indian origin pop up:
    pukka, dekko, bungalow, cushdy, etc etc

12. Well done! That must have taken a while. :D

13. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

No problem, just take care when map reading in Far East.

14. Just recently had a new chap join our team who used to be a team leader for a bunch of drooling mongs on the NTL helpline. One of his drones had a call from an old geezer who said "I've finished the reading the internet but am bored with the page now can I be disconnected please?". He thought the providers page was it and when told about Google was in hogs heaven.

Sad but true :)

Edited for bad smelling

15. Yup you're right the Indian army has brought us a lot of words. Still say buckshee and on Fridays on dress down day I mention that I'm in muffty and that always raises an eyebrow.

Think the navy shades us though quite scary how much. Golden rivets never attract me though 8)