Malay words in common usage

Malaysia (Burma) is a huge country and as we ran the place for yonks the language has entered our culture in the following ways:

Signifikan - Significant
Diskrimianasi - Discrimination
Amuk - Obvious (Amok)
Kicap (which means sauce) - Ketchup
Orangutan - Man of the jungle

Malay words

However a chum of mine who is ex scaley and not to be trusted, has claimed that the phrase "I'm in the ooloo" or if I'm in the middle of Soltau and someone asks "where are you" and you said "fcuk knows I'm in the ooloo" claims that 'ooloo' means the jungle. The interweb doesn't support this and I think he's lying.

Help me destroy this chap, he's only little and smells of poo (his Mum dresses him funny). need ammunition quick.

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
He's not only right about Ulu, but I seriously doubt that two of the words that you give as orignating in Malay

Signifikan - Significant
Diskrimianasi - Discrimination

are really Malay in origin - it is far more likely that they are English words that have undergone adoption by Malay. I will check with an OED when I get a chance :)

I've also seen it spelt as Ulhu... and Uhlu

BTDT

Old-Salt
In Malay, "ulu" actually means "up river" (which is where the jungle is - hence in common parlance used to mean "jungle")

elovabloke

ADC
StumpyHussar said:
Malaysia (Burma) is a huge country and as we ran the place for yonks the language has entered our culture in the following ways:
Stumpy - not sure why Burma is in brackets, not same place as Malaysia?

OldRedCap said:
Stumpy - sorry. He's right although more commonly spelt ULU.
Ahhh so he was telling the truth! That's going to be hard to swallow but the way he said it it was with 'o's' nut 'u's'. I hate 'o's' so at least I've got that over him :?

I finished reading the internet yesterday and now some of you are telling me that it might not be true? Blimey thought this was God's gospel just have to go back to hating the non teeth arm Signals for a living :D

Beentheredonethat said:
In Malay, "ulu" actually means "up river" (which is where the jungle is - hence in common parlance used to mean "jungle")
Like that description sounds sound (er).

elovabloke said:
StumpyHussar said:
You're right being a mong doesn't help my career. Sorry :cry:

Why are you looking at Malay words? Have you looked at indian words? Since you had a large slice of empire in india for longer, all sorts of phrases with indian origin pop up:
pukka, dekko, bungalow, cushdy, etc etc

elovabloke

ADC
StumpyHussar said:
elovabloke said:
StumpyHussar said:
You're right being a mong doesn't help my career. Sorry :cry:
No problem, just take care when map reading in Far East.

troopie said:
StumpyHussar said:
I finished reading the internet yesterday and now some of you are telling me that it might not be true?
Well done! That must have taken a while. :D
Just recently had a new chap join our team who used to be a team leader for a bunch of drooling mongs on the NTL helpline. One of his drones had a call from an old geezer who said "I've finished the reading the internet but am bored with the page now can I be disconnected please?". He thought the providers page was it and when told about Google was in hogs heaven.

Sad but true :)

Edited for bad smelling

smallbrownprivates said:
Why are you looking at Malay words? Have you looked at indian words? Since you had a large slice of empire in india for longer, all sorts of phrases with indian origin pop up:
Yup you're right the Indian army has brought us a lot of words. Still say buckshee and on Fridays on dress down day I mention that I'm in muffty and that always raises an eyebrow.

Think the navy shades us though quite scary how much. Golden rivets never attract me though 8)

Stumpy,

Without wishing to come across as a pedantic cnut - but I can't help it - soooo...

I think Buckshee is a derivation of Backsheesh, arabic for gift or tip.

Now Dhobi I think is Hindi for washing.

Lostboss you're correct, so is 'mufti'. These terms come from the British Army of the Nile.

smallbrownprivates said:
Hate to be a pedant but reckon you could be wrong about Cushdy. I am told that the word comes from an abbreviation of the phrase 'kull shay tamam' - arabic for every thing is OK.

Going 'doolally' apparently refers to the camp at Deoli (?) where soldiers in India were prone to going...you get it!

The giant WW2 army must have taken lots of slang and bastewardised Hindi/Urdu/Arabic words into common usage, as must the National service generation:

Take a shufti?

Do your dhobi?

Klefti something?

Personally I always like to hear these phrases as they are like a living link with history, although most people don't have a clue what you mean.