Malala Yousafzai

Not quite sure what this young lady has done to inur the ire of everyone?
She claimed her blog got her shot, all the girls on the bus where shot. Only one given uni place

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Still in CA, dear boy. It seems we've slipped into the NAAFI but it really is CA.
I know, that's why I used the correct term.

She's now a student at one of the top Uni's in the world. When she graduates, and if she pursues a career here I think she will go far. That she has been able to get back up and keep pushing determinedly on is to be lauded, not derided.

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Whether the facts around gender inequality, especially with regard to education are well known or not, when was the last time a teenager got so many folk in so many countries to acknowledge it was occurring?

She may be a figurehead, but I respect her bravado for being willing to speak out for her cause given the risks she faces.

It's a good indicator of how f*cked up a country is when a girl can be shot in the head for being pro-education and then accused of being a Western agent (therefore deserving of assassination) because it makes the people running the country look bad.

It's a good indicator of how f*cked up a country is when a girl can be shot in the head for being pro-education and then accused of being a Western agent (therefore deserving of assassination) because it makes the people running the country look bad.
It's a good indicator of how mixed up someone is if they can read about anyone overcoming this kind of thing and then bang on about immigration.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
With all the brave internet warriors on here I was wondering how many of them would happily return to the place they were shot, into an atmosphere where many people would be very happy if they were shot again.

This girl has a huge amount of personal courage and I can understand her joy at being back in her homeland. You don't have to agree with a person's politics to recognise personal courage.

Whether the facts around gender inequality, especially with regard to education are well known or not, when was the last time a teenager got so many folk in so many countries to acknowledge it was occurring?

She may be a figurehead, but I respect her bravado for being willing to speak out for her cause given the risks she faces.

I’d be rather more included to cheer for her if she stopped dressing in the repressive manner mandated by the backward religious and tribal factions she’s speaking out against.

She claimed her blog got her shot, all the girls on the bus where shot. Only one given uni place
Not quite dear boy

Moments later, the bus was flagged down by two young men as it passed a clearing, only 100 yards from the school gates. Malala doesn't recall seeing them but Moniba does. To her they looked like college students.

Then she heard one ask: "Who is Malala?" In the seconds between that question and the firing beginning, Moniba at first wondered if the men were more journalists in search of her well-known friend. But she quickly grasped that Malala had sensed danger. "She was very scared at that time,' she remembers. The girls looked at Malala, thereby innocently identifying her.

The two girls sitting on Malala's other side, Shazia Ramzan and Kainat Riaz, were also injured.

It's well documented that the gunman asked for by name and then shot. The others (two) were just unfortunate

I’d be rather more included to cheer for her if she stopped dressing in the repressive manner mandated by the backward religious and tribal factions she’s speaking out against.
That's some dumb sh1t right there. She can dress how she wants and if anything, the religious factions she's upsetting so much agree with you and want her to wear a burkha.

I know, that's why I used the correct term.

She's now a student at one of the top Uni's in the world. When she graduates, and if she pursues a career here I think she will go far. That she has been able to get back up and keep pushing determinedly on is to be lauded, not derided.
I haven’t derided her, I just don’t understand what she did that got her free education at a top uni, a Nobel prize and adulation and fawning from everyone.

She had a pretty mediocre ‘blog’ and took a bullet.

Very sad for her, glad she pulled through but still she’s one among tens of thousands globally.

What, exactly, did she do to deserve the rewards? Go ahead and mumble something generic about women’s rights....

And she will go far, not based on her merits (assuming she has merit) but on a free platform and support given to her by others to further their own aims.

As I said in my post 203, she claims to have been inspired by Benazir Bhutto who was the daughter of an former PM of Pakistan who just happened to have been executed for the alleged murder of a political opponent.
Benazir herself went to both Oxford & Harvard and also returned to become PM only to be dismissed for corruption & nepotism before eventually being shot by an assassin in a subsequent political campaign.
It looks like she is heading the same way.

Latest Threads