Making your PC faster!

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Yes_Sir!, Jul 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is there really any software out there in the market that can make you PC function any faster/better.

The likes of

XP Smoker
    Registry Mechanic.........etc

..........or are thay all just a Gimmeck??

Any thoughts?

2. Uninstall Norton for starters.

3. Be careful on Registry Mechanic.

The backups made as I found to my cost, are specific to Registry Mechanic.

So, uninstall Registry Mechanic, and guess what happens next?

If you want to get your PC running faster , defrag regularly and uninstall crap you don't need. AVG anti-virus, spybot, ad-aware and ccleaner which I can't say enough good things about.

4. BeFaster;

I ran this prog for several years when on Windows 98 and a phone line connection.

It worked very well, updates came regularly and they promptly reply to any probs:

Now with broadband and a new computer , I didn't think it was worth re-installing.

BeFaster

5. Cow

Cow LE

Format your HDD and reinstall using the minimum software required. Clears out the crap and keeps from programs you don't need from running.

Zone Alarm firewall is excellent too.

Edit to add: is CCleaner any good? Need a registry cleaner that works without having to pay out.

6. CCleaner is excellent , it really is. Noticeable improvement in performance after the first use.

7. TuneUp Utilities 2007 is pretty good.

8. All of the above, and then buy some more RAM.

9. Bag's of memory is always a good way of speeding things up. Also the more software you have on your system the slower it will be.

10. Few things you can do (RAM is always good)

start run > msconfig uncheck all in startup (www.sysinfo.org if unsure) will speed up your startup

Check your processes too procexp from http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/ProcessExplorer.mspx

read through that also gives you a good indication if anything has attached itself to winlogon etc

copy this code into a txt file save as a .bat will clear your internet cache and tmp files

echo --------------------------------------------------
    echo.
    echo This program will clean up your hard drive
    echo by removing temporary program and internet files
    echo.
    echo PLEASE CLOSE ALL APPLICATIONS NOW
    echo.
    echo Any files in use will NOT be deleted
    echo.
    echo --------------------------------------------------
    echo.
    echo.
    echo.
    pause
    echo.
    echo.
    del C:\WIndows\Temp\*.* /f /s /q
    rmdir C:\windows\Temp\ /s /q
    echo.
    echo.
    del "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp\*.*" /f /s /q
    rmdir "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp\" /s /q
    echo.
    del "%USERPROFILE%\Recent\*.*" /f /s /q
    echo.
    del "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\*.*" /f /s /q
    del "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*" /f /s /q
    rmdir "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\" /s /q
    del "C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*" /f /s /q
    rmdir "C:\WINdows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*" /s /q
    echo.
    pause
    cls
    echo.
    echo.
    echo ----------------------------------------
    echo.
    echo Cleaning completed successfully
    echo.
    echo Remember to empty your Recycle Bin and
    echo defragment your Hard Drive regularly
    echo.
    echo ----------------------------------------
    echo.
    echo.
    echo.
    Pause

Also general housekeeping defrag etc

11. If running windows XP rather than reformat do a systems repair,and the way to do a systems repair is do what you would do to do a reformat when it asks do you want to do a repair ignore it and carry on when it says checking for previous operating systems and then offers to do a systems repair click yes,place windows xp disc into drive what it will do is set windows xp back to default as in no updates and replace all DLL but all drives and software and data will be left alone only the operating system will be repaired and when done all you need to is a windows update will run as good as a fresh install

12. There are many programs out there that claim to improve system performance. Many actually will but the actual increase is almost negligable most of the time.

Personally I use Crap Cleaner, it will remove a lot of junk when initially used and then I run it about once a week just to keep on top of things. I also run Spybot Search and Destroy along side that, again about once a week.

The best way to gain a performance increase is more often than not an increase in system RAM.

13. there is a program called memturbo it basically defrags your ram in a short time boosting your performance

14. as an alternative to using an application to speed your system up, try blackviper.com which has comprehensive information on the services which run at boot and hog resources and recommendations as to wether or not they can be disabled (and how to do it :D ).

15. Saving loads of shite on your desktop slows your computer down loads, specially .exe files. keep desktops tidy!