Making rifle stands, need some help.

Discussion in 'REME' started by Nutter, Jun 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

I thought being reme and possibly armourers you lot might be able to help me.

Brief summary, I am an ACF instructor, we are due to rebadge soon and I have been tasked to set up a series of stands on the A2. At the moment we dont have the A2 and wont get them until just before the rebadging. Generally I want to run my idea past you and see if it passes muster.

I am intending to build them using a flat plate of metal connecting to them using mending plates secured with screws are two pieces of cylindrical metal objects, with a clamp securing the rifle just before the magazine housing and one just before the handguard, allowing all the important bits of the rifle to be shown.

Whilst this may seem like a lot of effort for a demo at rebadging I want to do this as I believe it may make a good instructing tool for drill nights and this is the first time since joining that I have the time to make one.

1. Can anybody tell me the distance between the rear of the magazine housing and the rear of the handgurad. Whilst i relise this is not something most people will know from memory, if someone could measure them for me aad let me knowI would appreciate it.
    2. Does the design sound good, I would weld i but i dont have access to a weilder.
    3. can anyone tell me why when i type this bloody text box move to the top.

Apologies for being an ACF instructor and asking this.
  2. Take a look at the commercial ones for ideas.|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1683|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1683|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1683|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50
  3. Thanks mate,they seem to fit with my plan although mine is a lot simpler, now all i need to do is find the measurements.
  4. mwl946

mwl946 LE Good Egg (charities)

Have made one for my detachment using two trip flare pickets fitted into a block of wood - takes no time at all! Can t tell you exact measurements off hand sorry but its virtually identical to the A1 !
  5. It might be easier just getting a bench with a vice on it and clamping a rifle Mag in the vice and mounting the rifle on the Mag in the traditional way. You can use an A1 as a template because externally they are similar.

6. I would do that as i know they are the same, but then theres the next problem. All our rifles were taken from us 7 weeks ago, so I have no way to measure beyond a guestimate from memory.
  7. If you still need it, I'll Measure one for you tomorrow
  8. No idea what sort of Gordian creation you describe above but...

I just use hte following.

1. Piece of 25mm Ply. Shaped as per Fig 11.
    2. Drill several holes up and down the centre of board.
    3. Use Trip Flare picquets (pref new ones).

You can then use the mount for any number of displays. Even pistol if you make the holes close enough.

I also have a little title block on the front, to tell the people what the weapon is.

A rather snazzy dpm cover completes the ensemble.

In the event of the weapon being differently shaped, you just cut the picquets down....

Alternatively, you could make picquest, with wooden shaped "Y" shaped stnads, with metal or wooden dowling in the bottom.

I've recently taken a tap and die kit to the picquets, and widend the holes underneath to about 5mm deep, and 10mm wide. The top has been added a bolt and washer, so it is nicely stable.