Making more use of the likes

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Good CO, Jun 25, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Over here ------> at the top of the right column we've added a latest likes box. A chance to add something good to the site other than advertising and assorted chat systems, and surprisingly tricky, involving the hire of a contract developer to make it work on such a large site.

The next job for the developer is a "most liked of the last X days" block which is perhaps more useful.

Does anyone have any more suggestions for what we can do to make more use of the excellent 'likes' system? Used well it should help us make good content rise to the top.

• Like Like x 19
  2. Good idea .. Have a like :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. A dislike and most disliked posts?

• Like Like x 13
  4. Start paying us cash for likes.

• Like Like x 2
  5. CplFoodspoiler

CplFoodspoiler War Hero Book Reviewer

I like the idea. I also think a 'dislike' option would be handy. It won't stop some from slagging each and every post but as a tool for registering your, well, dislike then it might have a mild therapeutic benefit.

6. thanks for the effort and evolution. good work, this stuff is complicated and i bet many on here very hard to please!

if u want feedback/ideas...could there be :

1. a 'laughed at like' sort of option. comedy like.
    2. a 'agree with your opinion' like sort of option. opinion like or 'agree'.

then if people will follow these likes they have more of an idea if its a trivial but hilarious look at male/female relationships or how people think the situation in Syria will affect the price of fish.
    i suspect many will use both and confuse the issue but they could only submit one for example. or only have an 'agree' in the intelligence cell and similar...?

or just ignore all that as too tricky and not thought through! ;o)

thanks again tho.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dislike button would be good. Could we call it the "c**t" button?

Correct, I can't be bothered turning my laptop on

8. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

A dislike button may reduce the number of replies to voice their dislike thus saving the slanging matches.

• Like Like x 3
  9. You reckon? :lol:

• Like Like x 6
  10. Guns

1. The Royal Navy

I seem quiet but in my head I disliked you.......

• Like Like x 4
  11. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

Bloody DIIF. When are we going to finally get a system that doesn't involve a hamster, a wheel, a few magnets and some copper winding?

Errr - roughly translated means I can't see the likes box on IE6. Although I echo the sentiment of others on the site and also think the dislike would be a good option. Like the Daily Mail comments, I love the thought of some doddery old meddlesome ratbag red-arrowing every post that meets his disproval.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Guns

1. The Royal Navy

Hahahahahahahahaha DII hahahahahahah

At least here in the land of moose we have DWAN which has crawled to IE7. Still shite but at least one more shite than DII.

13. Just as the like did, you can just like a post and not need to always comment.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Thanks for the feedback.

Dislikes and likes is a more complex system - and can be excellent. Reddit uses it to great effect.

I will look into it and agree that it is far better at identifying really top content and posters than the current simple-ish likes system.

To be honest IE6 compatibility is just not going to happen - sorry about that. Since the block is a nice-to-have I think it's sensible not to get bogged down in IE6.

• Like Like x 1
  15. welcome and good luck. i do enough IT stuff to get by and its very useful but it can be a real minefield.
    any good developments will be appreciated by most am sure. the rest can dislike it!