Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making door handles?

We had our doors stripped. Guy did a great job. Sadly one of the doors was knocked over and the Bakelite door handle broke. Little bits everywhere so no chance of sticking it back together. I've looked for reclaimed handles - no luck so far.
If I took a mould of the good handle and used it to make a new resin handle, how do I colour the resin to make it match the Bakelite?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
We had our doors stripped. Guy did a great job. Sadly one of the doors was knocked over and the Bakelite door handle broke. Little bits everywhere so no chance of sticking it back together. I've looked for reclaimed handles - no luck so far.
If I took a mould of the good handle and used it to make a new resin handle, how do I colour the resin to make it match the Bakelite?
You can mix paint in with it, but you'll have to trial and error it, why not paint the finished product?

PM me a photo, i have a box of door and cupboard handles in my shed-workshop.

You can buy tints to go in the resin you mix up to make the finished item self coloured. eBay and Axminster tools are good places to start, try and stick with similar types, eg use polyester tint with polyester resin etc.

If you are casting from a mould knowing someone with a vacuum chamber will save you having to repeat it due to bubbles on the surface of 5he finished item.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
If you have a local house clearance company, like the one in Old Sarum, give them a call. They may well have something kicking about.

Never tried actually this on plastics, but Dylon fabric dyes diluted to the right colour have gone well with grout, filler, allsorts

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
I have some 1930s bakelite door knobs/handles put a picture up, I will check stocks.

bcsack

Old-Salt
If you google whatever you're after then select "images" at the top of the page - there are farsands of leads to help you find a replacement - i searched for "bakelite door knob" - try "Bakelite door handle" as well !

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Handles, for doors?

Too Ronnies..... I'll get me coat.

More importantly is how we're going to get the new handles back in time to the 1950's the OP is living in.
Paint them beige and hand them to Jeremy Corbyn, problem solved. Although thinking about it that's probably more 1970s.

Supply them with ration coupons?

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Show an image of what you are looking for. Serious asking!

If you google whatever you're after then select "images" at the top of the page - there are farsands of leads to help you find a replacement - i searched for "bakelite door knob" - try "Bakelite door handle" as well !
Tried that none seem to match.

Latest Threads