Making Cider

I have been thinking about combining my massive drink problem with my search for new stuff to do and have come up with the idea of making my own cider. If I do it, I'd like to go the whole hog and press the apples, filter, ferment and bottle it. Has anyone done it? If you have, I have a few questions.

What's the best type of press? Wood or stainless steel?
Any apple can be used but if I want to use cider apples, anyone know a good source?
Have you any particular yeast preferences?
Camden tablets first to kill off the natural yeast?
Any decent starter gear that I should check out?

I'll probably go ahead and do it anyway but I'd like to make the first batch drinkable so any tips would be appreciated.

GW

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Excellent. I have 3 apple trees in the garden and will be having a bash. I'll let you know if I go blind.

I have been thinking about combining my massive drink problem with my search for new stuff to do and have come up with the idea of making my own cider. If I do it, I'd like to go the whole hog and press the apples, filter, ferment and bottle it. Has anyone done it? If you have, I have a few questions.

What's the best type of press? Wood or stainless steel?
Any apple can be used but if I want to use cider apples, anyone know a good source?
Have you any particular yeast preferences?
Camden tablets first to kill off the natural yeast?
Any decent starter gear that I should check out?

I'll probably go ahead and do it anyway but I'd like to make the first batch drinkable so any tips would be appreciated.

GW

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
I made some cider from a load of random apples last year which I managed to 'acquire', built a press etc. first batch tasted great.

Next batch I took it a bit more seriously, bought the apples, took time to let the apples ferment etc, tasted crap... Sarsons vinegar would have been proud of it.

Where did it go wrong? Didn't sterilise anything, oh well back to the magners.

There are some good clips on YouTube which give some good practical advice and tips and show how it it done. Don't know the site/s offhand but have a search. Good luck and enjoy.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I've made some fairly drinkable sparkling ciders of various varieties and strengths using these:

Home Brewing Caps | Pat Mack'sHome Brew Kits, Mulled Wine Recipe, How To Make Cider, Craft Beer | Home Brewing Caps

My best one thus far is Asda elderflower and apple juice, sugar, water and champagne yeast, mixed up in a 2 litre Coke bottle and left to brew for a month.

I tried a plain cider using cloudy apple juice but it took ages to turn alcoholic, I probably didn't add enough sugar. It was just really weak, fizzy apple juice.

Haven't made cider for decades, but it essentially makes itself. Have a search in here for recipes:

Home Brew Forum • View forum - Other Brews

Some do it with wild yeasts, some sanitise with campden tablets and add commercial yeasts, some use pukka apples and others use cheapo apple juice for turbo cider.

I may just buy a fermenting bucket and use one of the commercial cider kits to start off and get the press later.