Making a WEB site.

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by MuddyMettle, Nov 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HI All,

Would someone be willing to give me some advice on making a web site please?

What, program to use, which server to use

I just want to make something up for a friend who has opened a shop.

Thank you
  2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

The big question really is whether it needs to be active in any way (process forms etc) or whether it is just a brochure or information portal with no interaction.

Secondly what will it do?
  3. Without stating the obvious, would your friend not be better off getting someone who knows what they are doing to build his site?

I can understand you wanting to help a mate, but a decent quality site (such as this one :wink: ) takes time, effort and knowledge.

4. For ease of use, Frontpage is pretty good. If you can use Word, you can use Frontpage.

As for servers, the list is endless, just Google "Web Site Hosting", would be worth looking at some of the US companies as their deals are cracking. You would need to register the domain name here first though if you used a US hosting company
  5. Try this - £30 from Staples.

Job done.
  6. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Frontpage is a nightmare for anything more than the most basic of sites. Hosting is likewise not that easy - it depends what you want to do. Without knowing that there's no way anyone can give him any worthwhile advice.
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I use Mr site for my business and although there are limits it runs an online shop and even numpties like me can set one up.
    This is a basic effort:
  8. jmj

jmj Old-Salt

Frontpage is a pile of excrement as are 99% of the sites created with it.. Bloated buggy code that isn't cross browser compatible and relies on hosting extensions to work.

Dreamweaver is the dogs conkers, but it's seriously expensive. You used to be able to blag a 30 day demo of it from Macromedia, but they've been bought out by Adobe so not sure if it's possible still. Have a snoop around and see for yourself.

If you want to do it seriously.. Dreamweaver plus a crash course in php and mySQL is the way ahead.

9. That's why I suggested Frontpage. If he has to ask how to do it, it isn't going to be a complex site :p
  10. Hi,

Thank you so far, the site will manyl be a brochure and information site.

Some pictures and INFO of the shop.

Just trying to help out in getting the word out about the shop.

P.S. Yes i don't know much about setting up a site, but would like to know how to.

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Try Mr Site, one off fee for first year and lots of options. It does the hard work for you making you feel good about IT!
  12. have you ever considered getting a web design company to do it for you?

I've recently had mine done by chooboo ( and it was fantastic!

It may look abit pricey at 1st but it is considerably cheaper than any other similar products and the service and extra options are great.
  13. As for Hosting, try EHosting or Weycrest, i have used both of them for the last couple of years. between them they host about 30 websites and other bits'n'bobs for me and i've only ever had minor issues with them which have been sorted quickly.

With any hosting, you need to compare what they are going to give you in terms of.

Server OS: Linux or Windows

this has nothing to do with whatever you run on your desktop
    Unless you specifcally need Windows, go with Linux.

If linux,
    find out what version of PHP they are using.
    do they support MySql Databases, and how can you access it.
    How much storage space do you get, and how much bandwidth per month.

They are just very basic questions and by no means cover everything but should get you started wih an idea of what to look out for.

Should you want any help, feel free to give me a PM

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I think you should ask how much do you want to pay first before any flashy firms hit you with quotes?
  15. Good point Ugly.

Don't let Web-designers tell you what you need.
    Before you go to them, have a clear written spec of what you need the website to do, and what it would be nice for the website to do.

Given half-a-chance web-designers love to go utterly OTT with features and graphics (and by god you'll pay for it as well).
    Having done a few i can say first hand how important it is to reign in the imigination and "wouldn't it be nice if" thoughts.

Start small and work bigger. Its better to have something diddy and then work out what needs adding, rather buy lots of stuff and never use it.

And beware of people trying to sell you things which are actually free.
    Most web-server software is free, the real cost is in actual hardware and man-hours