Making a rota

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by chrisg46, Oct 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Need some help with this one... I am trying to create a rota that covers 24x 7 for 6 weeks... I have 5 people that need to cover the above as well as provide cover for illness etc while allowing maximum time off. Not allowed to have sleeping "cover" either. No matter how I do it, I always end up with gaps and it's doing my head in now... Help?
  2. Do your own work you lazy cunt. I've got enough of my own to do.

However, I did Google "rota creator" and got lots of options for free software that will do it for you.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. do it for 4 people and leave yourself out of it?
  4. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

It's very easy! The girly with the biggest tits doesn't get the graveyard shift.

Believe me, she will thank you.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Delegate.
  6. Four shifts of six hours per day. Bloke on from midnight to 6am has next day off as well as the rest of the day he worked, effectively almost two days. Whole roster shifts up the next day with 6am to midday bloke taking midnight to 6am and then next day off, midday to 6pm moving to 6am to midday slot and so on. Should have the longer period off just about once a week per person.
  7. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

All good advice so thank you. Unfortunately I have been delegated on so no luck there, and we have no girls :(
    Will have a look on google though, didn't know there were clever things that did it for you (always thought that was what minions were for)
  8. That's exactly what minions are for........but when you're the minion.....
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Try this which you can run ad infinitum.

d n d n d n d n d n d n d n d n d n d n d n d n
    b a b a c b c b d c d c e d e d a e a e b a b a

d & n denote days and nights and a-e are the people. This would be the default setting but there are hardly ever 5 people available as one is always on course, leave, sick or training etc so a 4 way is more common. That would be 2 days, 2 nights, 4 days off, rather than the 6 days off in this model. You could always have the person on their 5 and 6th days off in to work on office hour support or on call, but that would lift their working hours.

The 5 way is an average 33 1/2 hour working week, plus HO/TO time, whereas the 4 way is 42 hours plus HO/TO time. That would be fairly standard for a lot of armed forces permanently static 24/7 setups.
  10. As always,ask them what they want to do.Make sure everyone is happy with the rota.
    Then 30 minutes prior to shifts starting change it all for no apparent reason.Don't take any shit from someone claiming to have to take their dying Mother to hospital,and the best bit,don't allow any time for anyone to eat whilst doing 16 hour shifts.
    Yes, Lt Knobby-Brown I'm talking to you.

11. Thanks very much for................... errr............... making it clear :?
  12. Pyjamas cheese grater outdoors sausage transmission, left on the table by the red bacofoil.
  13. That's a lot better, now I see where you're coming from :)
  14. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

2 guys on days 7 on 4 off 7 on 3 off
    2 guys on nights 7 on 4 off 7 on 3 off
    With the last bloke 7 on 4 off 7 on 3 off split shift

Actually looking at it, thats a bag of shit so forget it.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. You don't say what you are doing or how many you need on shift...

what about DENOS?

Day, Evening, Night, Off, Standby.

0800 - 1400, 1400 - 2000, 2000 - 0800.

1 D E N O S
    2 E N O S D
    3 N O S D E
    4 O S D E N
    5 S D E N O

Standby covers any one who skives. With the Evening chappy also on 'Std by' to cover the Day shift as reqired.

If you use that system you'll notice it is quite robust. And will easily see you over your 6 weeks.