Making A Killing

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by PappaRat, Jul 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It is a very good book, the sequel is readable but potentially too padded out. Making a Killing is a realistic and down to earth portrayal of life as a security contractor back in the boom era that ocurred in the middle of the last decade. The events contained within it are fast paced and descriptive, the writers analysis of the characters involved adds a little extra to an already enjoyable book.

The initial transition between working in London to returning to a quasi military environment is an accurate description of how you feel when joining a contract for the first time. I feel that the book offfers a different perspective from other similar books that have been released over the last few years, not least as it is written from the perspective of a former officer - a rare beast in the world of PSD and convoy contracts in the country at that time. The author also touches on a massive, and often disregarded, issue that effects security contractors, and that is the impact that your work has on partners and children and how relationships and communication with wives/girlfriends are sometimes strained.

I would reccomend this book as my personal favourite from the entire genre of accounts of PMC work, although I would qualify that by adding that Pete Mcaleese wrote a brilliant book (No Mean Soldier) that covers his time in the private sector, however his account is set in the 70's and 80's when the industry was a very different place to work. The contemparies of this book would include John "Geddes" book Highway to Hell and Bob Shepherds book The Circuit. Geddes account is far more sensationalist and has a more "tabloid" feel to it, and therefore in my opinion is inferior to Making a Killing. I personally struggled to finish "The Circuit" as I found the author to be self congratulatory and have an arrogant style to his writing, that said, many others in the industry have great things to say about the book and author, and I would be happy to bow to the weight of support that his works (including his online blog) receive.

In summary Making a Killing si a realistic and very readable account of life as a PMC. It is a shame that the authors sequel was rather more limited, although it is still worth a read if you enjoyed Making a Killing as it is a direct follow on based on the same individuals and therefore maybe of interest. Check out the website at Making A Killing the story of private security contractors in Iraq