Making a claim

I have recently had a claim turned down by the Naafi, due to the wording on the claim form. I said that I had a fine handed to me, by the Brigadier, to the tune of 500 notes. The Naafi said that they wouldn't pay out due to it being a fine, even when I said that was the way the military got recompense for lost items of kit.
A word to the wise, make sure you have adequate cover for your kit.....especially all you SQMS/CQMS'S out there.

As for the naafi, 22 years of cover stood for nothing...CHEERS!

qman said:
I have recently had a claim turned down by the Naafi, due to the wording on the claim form. I said that I had a fine handed to me, by the Brigadier, to the tune of 500 notes. The Naafi said that they wouldn't pay out due to it being a fine, even when I said that was the way the military got recompense for lost items of kit.
A word to the wise, make sure you have adequate cover for your kit.....especially all you SQMS/CQMS'S out there.

As for the naafi, 22 years of cover stood for nothing...CHEERS!
A fine isn't a means of getting recompense. It is defined in the Commander's Guide to Summary Punishments (at http://www.army.mod.uk/militarylaw/command_sentencing.htm#fines ) as follows:

14. A fine is a purely financial penalty whose consequences for the individual must be assessed by the Commander. An appropriate fine will leave the offender in no doubt that he has been properly punished: it should hurt him but not cripple him. A fine which is too light is likely to be viewed as derisory and may undermine the authority of the Commander in exercising discipline. Commanders should bear in mind that a fine is not restitution and should not be equated with any financial loss arising from the offence.
What you are describing is stoppages, which are defined as:

11. Any soldier may be placed under stoppages of pay (PUSP) in addition to any other punishment awarded. It is a means of making good the consequences of an offence by recovering some of the cost of a loss or damage caused by the offence. In view of the high cost of equipment, stoppages may represent only a very small proportion of the actual cost of the loss or damage. Nevertheless the impact of stoppages on the individual may be very significant. The cost of the loss or damage must be shown in pounds Sterling on the charge report and be included in the charge. A Commander may seek extended powers from Higher Authority to place a soldier under stoppages of pay in excess of the permitted equivalent of 14 days' pay. The Commander should bear in mind the cumulative punitive effect of the punishment and stoppages awarded.

Either way you have to have money taken from your pay to cover the cost of the item in question. I have a pay statement saying that I have had money taken from my pay, so surely I am entitled to make a claim against my policy.

We can’t comment on individual cases, but it sounds like there may have been some confusion. If you are fined (as described by Donny), then no you are not covered - Kit and Contents Insurance is not designed for this. However, if you are claiming for lost kit that you have been asked to pay for (i.e. Stoppages) and your claim meets all policy terms, then you will be covered.

If you think your claim was just misunderstood, give us another ring to explain on 0800 012345 (from the UK) +44 8705 234 937 (from the rest of the world) and we’ll sort it out. If you still think you’ve been refused unfairly, PM me and I’ll look into your case.

Hope that helps!