Making a "base curry"

Right! I've educated myself for a month or two now with the kitchen guru products and have now got my "special" spices and other ingredients. I'm now attempting to move to the next level by trying to cook, not authentic Indian but british Indian Restaurant style curries.

Today I have attempted to make my first "base curry" using the recipe on this website:
http://www.indiasnacks.com/recipe/37/Basic-Curry-Sauce.php
Which uses the method from a book called "The curry Secret"
I also used a few other "secrets" I have seen on the web such as a tsp of ketchup, tsp of sugar and tbsp of tomato puree.

I have had to bodge it though as I realised after starting I had no ginger. The method also states to simmer the mixture until the oil starts rising.
I ran out of time eventually as I'm now at work so had to turn the heat off after about 2 hours - after achieving what looks like a brown gravy that fecking reeks of mainly garlic, onion and cumin.

I never got it to the point where the oil starts rising. Have I failed at the first hurdle?Does it matter that much?

Any advice on restaurant style base curries please?

I have been looking on cr0.co.uk but i'm unable to view that site here at work.

Get a £10 slow cooker from Tesco, you can leave it to cook for 8-10 hours, I like to cook the sauce until its just a bit to hot for my taste, then add the meat, but the slow cooker makes it idiot proof

tropper66 said:
Get a £10 slow cooker from Tesco, you can leave it to cook for 8-10 hours, I like to cook the sauce until its just a bit to hot for my taste, then add the meat, but the slow cooker makes it idiot proof
Are you 100% on that one Tropp?. :)

jarrod248 said:
hedgehog64 said:
tropper66 said:
mwahaahaahaaaaaaaaaa
Tesco been pushing them for ages and at that price you can't get a tidy saucepan, there great for currys

tropper66 said:
jarrod248 said:
hedgehog64 said:
tropper66 said:
mwahaahaahaaaaaaaaaa
Tesco been pushing them for ages and at that price you can't get a tidy saucepan, there great for currys
Mess tins on a cold night in Belfast mate. :lol:

tropper66 said:
jarrod248 said:
hedgehog64 said:
tropper66 said:
mwahaahaahaaaaaaaaaa
£9.99 reduced from £16.99 Tesco Extra Cardiff

Attachments

jarrod248 said:
tropper66 said:
tropper66 said:
jarrod248 said:
hedgehog64 said:
tropper66 said:
mwahaahaahaaaaaaaaaa
That's the same as my slow cooker but I've never cooked a curry in it and it cost much more than that. So you are saying you'd cook the sauce for 8-10 hours and then add the meat? It'd be ready in 24 hours then?
Stop talking Yorkshire 'tha might mek sence' :lol: .

jarrod248 said:
hedgehog64 said:
jarrod248 said:
tropper66 said:
tropper66 said:
jarrod248 said:
hedgehog64 said:
tropper66 said:
mwahaahaahaaaaaaaaaa
That's the same as my slow cooker but I've never cooked a curry in it and it cost much more than that. So you are saying you'd cook the sauce for 8-10 hours and then add the meat? It'd be ready in 24 hours then?
Stop talking Yorkshire 'tha might mek sence' :lol: .
I made sense once in 1989, don't think it's happened since.
:wink:

You can't beat a "two day curry",

10 hours? Sod that.

I take it you're needing a basic curry masala gravy that you add to other spices etc? You can make a batch in 30 mins.

Fry a sliced onion, some garlic puree or 4-5 cloved of chopped garlic, about six to eight cored and skinned tomatoes in some oil or ghee (don't skimp, a good 4 or 5 tablepoons) for about 15 mins until it's all soft and mushy.
Add a small glass of water and simmer on high for 5 minutes then add another glass of water and some spices, (seeds from 4 or 5 cardomom pods, a good teaspoon of garam masala, teaspoon of turmeric). Stir in and simmer for another 5 minutes. Add a bit of seasoning.
Take the pan off the heat and leave to cool, then blend in a food processor.

Multiply the ingredients to make bigger quantities obviously, as this is only enough for 1 curry. It freezes well by the way.

Home

Found sachets of Shaheen balti masala in B&M for 39p a week ago.

Made a mess of it the first time, made it way too strong, but this time it worked well......

Take 2 onions, slice and fry in a little oil until browned, then put in a bowl.

Take enough chicken, lamb etc for 2-3 portions and fry in a little oil till nearly cooked, 5-10 minutes.

Add the sauce and stir.

You can put back the onions as they are, or blend in a little water to a slurry.

Add 1/2 a tube of tomato puree and enough water to get the right consistency, then simmer till cooked.

Any advice on restaurant style base curries please?
Curry for three.

Ingreds:

Heaped teaspoon of Salt
Teaspoon of Sugar
1. Large onion.
1. teaspoon of turmeric.
1. teaspoon of medium curry powder.
1. teaspoon of ground coriander.
3. cloves of garlic.
1. diced size piece of ginger.

Half block of coconut puree
Small cup of double cream - or half a whisky glass

1 to 1.5 lb of chicken.

5 large handfuls of basmati rice.

1. Full kettle of boiled water.

---------------------------

PREP

Finely chop onion, garlic and ginger.

Add all spices, seasoning and sugar into a bowl.

I buy diced chicken and wash it in a saucepan - this cleans and separates the chicken.

---------------------------

COOKING

Pour a good slosh of olive oil into a large frying pan. If your frying pan is too small - use a large saucepan.

Thrown in onions, garlic and ginger. Bring up heat until it starts to fry, then add all spices - then reduce heat. try to avoid caramelisation of the onions for this recipe.

Cook out for about five mins - if it starts to dry out - add a little more olive oil, or if you're unsure about oil - use a drop of water instead.

After the spices are cooked out - add chicken.

Chop coconut puree into small bits and add that.

Cover all the lot with boiling water. Bring up heat until it boils, then reduce to a simmer.

Allow to cook for about 20 mins, stirring occasionally.... add more water if needed... not too much though. You are going to add the cream just before serving.

Wash rice and put in a pan, cover rice with water so that the rice has the same amount of water over it - that is equal to the depth of the rice. I always use water boiled from the kettle.

Bring rice up to boil then turn down to a simmer. It wil be ready when all water is gone.

Now taste the curry. The most likely ingredient you will need to add a bit more of will be salt... go steady - half a level teaspoon at a time... stir it and leave to cook for a minute or two before tasting again.

When rice is cooked serve - add cream to curry just before serving and stir in gently.

If you follow these destruction's carefully - you will have the prefect Korma - without nuts.

If it tastes like shit - you fukked up. Go to the superdoop and bang one in the microwave....

The salt I use is large grain sea salt - if you are using fine salt - use less and taste as you go... the finer the salt the more you get on the spoon.

If it’s too mild... next time add a bit more curry powder. Or you can add heat with chopped chili.... I use chili flakes.

It's not really a base curry gravy if there's coconut, ginger, coriander, lumps of bird floating around in it and rice on the side... It's definately become an actual curry by then.