Majors and Medals

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, Aug 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

I can't find the thread where Cuddles challenged the received wisdom that the TA was full of Majors with no Op Medals (I am sure someone will have it to hand), but here is the result of an FOI request:

There are currently 1,550 substantive Majors serving in the TA. Of these 740 have received an Operational Medal. Please note that these figures have been rounded to the nearest 10 in accordance with Defence Analytical Services Agency policy.

2. 50% is pretty impressive if you ask me. You should see the paucity in the RAF.
  3. I agree that 50% is impressive although I suspect the figures could be skewed depending upon the definition of "operational" - for example I'm not sure whether Cyprus should really count and I believe that a fair few TA soldiers have deployed in that role.

I also agree with Retd Crab's observation about the RAF. Staff College was literally full of Wing Cdrs with the Jubilee Medal and nothing else - quite shocking. The notable exception was the helicopter pilots who had lots of medals including a fair smattering for gallantry.
  4. Well done msr and yah boo sucks to whoever doubted the operational efficiency of us bloated, gin-swilling field officers!

Many of these will have two or more operational tours under their belts...
  5. I wonder how many of that 1500 are ex regular
  6. msr

msr LE

Anecdotal evidence would suggest not many... but I am sure you are more than capable of raising an FOI request to answer your own question.
  7. Really, as the TA are only just about to deploy for the first time to Cyprus.
  8. Loads of TA have deployed on Op Tosca, theres at least 2 I know if still serving in my unit, the only new thing is they are deploying as formed units, albeit from different units
  9. Its not like there are that many chances for majors to moblise .
  10. msr

msr LE

Oh yes there are.
  11. 1550....hmmm why so many Majors?

divide by 4, actually, lets be generous, lets say 6, which is all (more than) you need for ooh, a batallion sized unit, regardless of whether infantry, thats just how I think, and we should have 258 such units...which would put the TA at a stonking 155,000

This in turn means we could invade France, presuming that the regular army would be even bigger.

Hats off to the gong holders of course, but why so many majors?, it sounds like twelve hundred too many to me.

Of course I will now be deluged with a whole load of " you obviously have no conception of the importance of passed over Majors in London District" type stuff, but with my citizen's hat on, this number sounds wasteful to me.
  12. They may have earned the medals prior to becoming Majors.
  13. msr

msr LE

Medical units, BRTs and SO2s.

14. I have no idea what the last two mean but anyway, so a thousand doctors and others?

Please don't misunderstnd me, I just get the feeling that the army, generally, is top heavy
  15. Why is everyone fixated with Medals? The only ones that really count are gallantry Medals surely... Or is it if you have them your an "old sweat" if you don't your a dodger? I can never understand this fixation with I've been there and now I have the T Shirt mentality... As for the Birthday give away list? MBE OBE KCB VD & Bar!!! :roll: