Majors and Medals

I can't find the thread where Cuddles challenged the received wisdom that the TA was full of Majors with no Op Medals (I am sure someone will have it to hand), but here is the result of an FOI request:

There are currently 1,550 substantive Majors serving in the TA. Of these 740 have received an Operational Medal. Please note that these figures have been rounded to the nearest 10 in accordance with Defence Analytical Services Agency policy.

msr

I agree that 50% is impressive although I suspect the figures could be skewed depending upon the definition of "operational" - for example I'm not sure whether Cyprus should really count and I believe that a fair few TA soldiers have deployed in that role.

I also agree with Retd Crab's observation about the RAF. Staff College was literally full of Wing Cdrs with the Jubilee Medal and nothing else - quite shocking. The notable exception was the helicopter pilots who had lots of medals including a fair smattering for gallantry.

Well done msr and yah boo sucks to whoever doubted the operational efficiency of us bloated, gin-swilling field officers!

Many of these will have two or more operational tours under their belts...

Anecdotal evidence would suggest not many... but I am sure you are more than capable of raising an FOI request to answer your own question.

Ethel_the_Aardvark said:
I agree that 50% is impressive although I suspect the figures could be skewed depending upon the definition of "operational" - for example I'm not sure whether Cyprus should really count and I believe that a fair few TA soldiers have deployed in that role.

I also agree with Retd Crab's observation about the RAF. Staff College was literally full of Wing Cdrs with the Jubilee Medal and nothing else - quite shocking. The notable exception was the helicopter pilots who had lots of medals including a fair smattering for gallantry.
Really, as the TA are only just about to deploy for the first time to Cyprus.

Loads of TA have deployed on Op Tosca, theres at least 2 I know if still serving in my unit, the only new thing is they are deploying as formed units, albeit from different units

woody said:
Its not like there are that many chances for majors to moblise .
Oh yes there are.

1550....hmmm why so many Majors?

divide by 4, actually, lets be generous, lets say 6, which is all (more than) you need for ooh, a batallion sized unit, regardless of whether infantry, thats just how I think, and we should have 258 such units...which would put the TA at a stonking 155,000

This in turn means we could invade France, presuming that the regular army would be even bigger.

Hats off to the gong holders of course, but why so many majors?, it sounds like twelve hundred too many to me.

Of course I will now be deluged with a whole load of " you obviously have no conception of the importance of passed over Majors in London District" type stuff, but with my citizen's hat on, this number sounds wasteful to me.

londonirish said:
1550....hmmm why so many Majors?
Medical units, BRTs and SO2s.

msr

Why is everyone fixated with Medals? The only ones that really count are gallantry Medals surely... Or is it if you have them your an "old sweat" if you don't your a dodger? I can never understand this fixation with I've been there and now I have the T Shirt mentality... As for the Birthday give away list? MBE OBE KCB VD & Bar!!! :roll:

My little unit deployed with 2 Majors out of a total complement of about 15. The other three officers are all now Majors. Majors from other units in our larger organisation also deployed, mostly as individuals, because their particular skills were needed. Several WO2s, WO1s, 2Lts, Lts and Capts who deployed as individuals or in augmentee groups are also Majors now.

I suppose it's units like mine that throw the balance out from what the Infantry would perceive is the norm.

Sorry.

I forgot. One of the LCpls who deployed is also a Major now. :D

putteesinmyhands said:
My little unit deployed with 2 Majors out of a total complement of about 15. The other three officers are all now Majors. Majors from other units in our larger organisation also deployed, mostly as individuals, because their particular skills were needed. Several WO2s, WO1s, 2Lts, Lts and Capts who deployed as individuals or in augmentee groups are also Majors now.

I suppose it's units like mine that throw the balance out from what the Infantry would perceive is the norm.

Sorry.

I forgot. One of the LCpls who deployed is also a Major now. :D
don't be sorry, its a good explanation, knocks 15 off the list it were. Any views on the rest?

You could add in the watchkeepers. Must be good for at least another 30.

de facto therefore, Mobilisation being the panacea for all ills, the Holy Grail, the meaning of life, the only reason for being a volunteer...

...to measure the quality/effectiveness/importance etc (as is being implied) of the 'TA' Major by the percentage of those that have mobilised is, IMHO (to utilise the vernacular), bunkum. 50% is a riduculous figure anyway and I suspect this includes all sorts of things, not running around in the sand of late.

I despair.

Wingletang said:
de facto therefore, Mobilisation being the panacea for all ills, the Holy Grail, the meaning of life, the only reason for being a volunteer...

...to measure the quality/effectiveness/importance etc (as is being implied) of the 'TA' Major by the percentage of those that have mobilised is, IMHO (to utilise the vernacular), bunkum. 50% is a riduculous figure anyway and I suspect this includes all sorts of things, not running around in the sand of late.

I despair.
sounds like you are one, a TA Madge that is, or aspire to be. Even so, whether or not it is bunkum to say that they are imprtant/effective etc if they have not deployed, ( there are probably TA Major cooks for all I now) aren't there slightly too many of them?

Would our nation's defenses crumble if we binned half of them?

And maybe spent the money elsewhere?

And don't tell me they are all fluent Pashtun speakers guiding our non-existent remote-controlled cruise missiles onto "players" that their "assets" have identified for them.

I am not asking snidey questions, and I know its often hard to tell on the net, but with my citizen's hat on, which is the only one I wear these days, it seems an awful lot of crowns bobbing about for not a lot of troops.

Mind you, a 50% saving has been made since the introduction of the awful rank-slide I suppose.

Latest Threads