Majority of French restaurants using ready-made factory food

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by happybonzo, Feb 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just in case any of you are thinking of a holiday in La Belle France this year...

Shock! Horror!

A hard-hitting television documentary has claimed restaurants in France are increasingly buying in read-made food rather than preparing ingredients from scratch.

This rather confirms what a young Chef that I know has told me. He is very talented and has cooked for some of the Great and Good: His take on this being "All you have to be good at these days is being able to drive a microwave" :lol:

Telegraph article

The Brake webpage might seem to give credance to this as well Brake website

2. I think Telegraph need to define ready made food.

The days of finding bags of spuds/veg, salad items and whole fresh fruit in many uk restaurants kitchens are long past. (Less waste and fresher products)
    Buying them in chopped and prepared is sensible and it frees up time to concentrate on the specialty meat and fish dishes
    However if meat and fish dishes are sold as specific creations to the restaurant/chef then I would be annoyed if they came from a central producer

As for Brake Brothers, they have, to my knowledge, been supplying pubs with "boil in the bag" meals for years and I can remember Derek Cooper of R4s' The Food Programme running a contest for the best pub curry and Brake Bros winning it!

3. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Anyway,Have you noticed on cookery shows like 'Britains best' ect,that those Vac Packed food cooked in a waterbath seems to be the new cheffy thing?

4. All the Celebrity chefs have been doing this for years, food in preped in a central location and then sent to the various gaf, I checked out the new Jamie Oliver in Cardiff not long ago and they did it, just goes to show that most of the celebrity resteraunts are a con, and really not much better than Wetherspoons, best bet go to small independent pubs and resteraunts for the best food and value

meal for two in Jamie Oliver no wine £38, same meal in my local cooked in front of me £42 only it was for four and we had two bottles of wine, ( they do a 2 for 1 on Italian meals )

5. Not when they serve shite like Croques Monsieur.