Major William Foxton (Late Sultan of Omans Land Forces)

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Alexander49, Feb 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It was with deep personal regret that I opened my newspaper last week to see the report on the death of Major William ("Bill") Foxton (Late Royal Green Jackets, Sultan of Oman's Land Forces), as the result of losing his life savings - savings that were hard and well earned - in the Madoff fraud in the United States. My condolences go out to his Son Willard and I can only but share his anger and despair.

I was seconded to the Ministry of Defence, Sultanate of Oman for a 6-year period from 1982 - 1988, and I met Bill in my very early days after arriving in Muscat. He was at that time, the Officer Commanding the Sultan's Armed Forces (SAF) Beach Club - Bill had done more than his fair share of fighting by that time.

He was every inch an Officer and a Gentleman - he sported a red moustache at that time - and he was a delightful man, always with a ready smile and never a bad word about anyone. He was a thoroughly professional and dedicated Officer in the conduct of his responsibilities and a friend to all.

After Oman, our paths crossed briefly - much to our mutual surprise and delight - in Yugoslavia, where his good works are well recorded and recognised.

I hope that this small personal tribute will help to assuage in some little way the grief that his Son must be feeling. The world is surely a poorer place for Bill's passing.

2. He was a good man and the manner of his going is a tragedy.

Have sent you a pm re Oman.