Major Walter Mitty

Discussion in 'Officers' started by barbs, Jun 13, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have come across a gentleman who claims to be an officer. I am trying to identify his Waltness (he claims to be a certain rank but his age would suggest otherwise), he claims he is due to receive an honour this year (although his name appeareth not on the op list or honours lists) oh, and his name is not in the Army List.

Not going too well so far, is it?

My last great unknown is if he is a TA officer. Can anyone tell me how I can identify if he is a TA officer?

2. Call him a STAB and watch the reaction :lol:

3. IRC TA Officers appear on the Army List as well? Will dig mine out a bit later and confirm....

4. Ask him the date of his commission. If it's '1872 May' he's Bromhead, if '1872, February', he's Chard.

(OK, for those with a historical bent, I know the dates used in the film were out - IIRC Char was years rather than months senior.)

Alternatively, tell him you're going to the SIB as he's dodgy character trying to get inside your kecks. If he is a dodgy character trying to get inside your kecks tell him to go to the Bag 'o Nails, if he isn't then tell him to go there.

If he's legit he won't go either way.

5. msr

msr LE

You could always ask him if he has ever requested a flight be delayed in order for him to collect his laundry.

msr

6. Only because Chard commissioned directly as a Lieutenant. Bromhead had been commissioned several years longer.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Sadly, said Major W Mitty may prove to be a member of the TA. We do have our fair share of Walts. Just don't let it distract from the fact that many of us are hard working, and by many accounts do a good job on ops.

Please ask him for what brave/consciencious deed he is due to receive an honour? Surely the response here would be likely to give the game away.

8. Abacus, thanks = Nope - not on that list!

The cnut has a photo which is well decked out - showed it to my Sergeant Major and asked for his opinion - straight out - 'Walt'!

Won't post it here - includes 2 GSMs! No QGJM! Group of 10! Considering the legal consequences - Impersonating an officer is an offence under AA 55 but is it binding to strawberries too?

cnutcnutcnut

9. Its also a civilian offence of impersonating an officer i believe.
    Not to mention, obtaining a pecunary advantage if he has benefitted financially from passing himself off as an officer.

10. Why not blank his mug off with paint (everone has it) and post it with his gongs.......go on.

11. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Hang him!!!!!!!!!!

Burn him like a witch........

Go on please, I'll be your best mate forever, promise....

Alternatively, ask him for his MoD 90, just to sort out the ration roll or some such shite and then do a unicom check on the f()cker. That'll tell you everything........

12. CGS

CGS War Hero Moderator

Do tell more...

13. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Please, please, please post the pic here: blank out his face with MS Paint or whatever...

14. Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease...go on, Barbs, you know you want to.... :D