Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major punches Capt's lights out, Cdr wades in and gets the good news as well.

The_Duke

LE
If it is barrister and m’lud it would be an assault / GBH / ABH case in a civilian court for which there are well established sentencing guides. From my numerous attending officer duties, a first time offender, no weapons, no kicking on the floor etc would probably result in a fine and/or community service.

The only place where comparative rank matters is to the employer, in this case the armed forces. Courts Martial.

No, Loan service and Attaché roles are career death. They are the equivalent of the Glasgow managed pathway to death. Comfortable but ultimately going nowhere. They are well-paid, interesting & challenging but they do your own career very little good. For example, if you are thrusting major/lieutenant colonel, taking five years out of your career to learn a language, train for the role and then deploying to the back of beyond, you will not remain competitive with your peers who have done the intense butt-snorkelling at Andover, MB and as 2i/c 3rd Bn The Loamshires

Partly agree, it all depends on what career path you want to follow of course now that's there a DE stream. You're bang on the money with the second part though, no career-driven military shit (you know the type) will ever consider a post out in the wilderness, figuratively and literally.

I've done an LS post and it was easily the most interesting and varied job I've ever done, shame the mob doesn't recognise it as such.

D

Deleted 60082

Partly agree, it all depends on what career path you want to follow of course now that's there a DE stream. You're bang on the money with the second part though, no career-driven military shit (you know the type) will ever consider a post out in the wilderness, figuratively and literally.

I've done an LS post and it was easily the most interesting and varied job I've ever done, shame the mob doesn't recognise it as such.

I have to agree, not only was being an attache very interesting, I had incredible access and influence compared with other (main stream) Wg Cdrs.

The DE stream is a chimera; to be an attache, you have to meet the rank and experience level to be an attache, and all going well, you might get another tour (the record, for an RAF Wg Cdr still serving, is 4 attache tours), but promotion remains ellusive. And you won't return to the main stream at the same level as your peers.

More like they want their mortgage paid off quickly and the kids finishing at boarding school.

Not really relevant but in 1953 my father was sent to Nigeria to be the MTO of the RWAFF. He loved it but it was obviously a bit less 'developed' in those days.

D

Deleted 60082

You're bang on the money with the second part though, no career-driven military shit (you know the type) will ever consider a post out in the wilderness, figuratively and literally.
It's a hard landing on return from a 'decent' post. Our ironing didn't iron itself; the silverware tarnished; the car remained unwashed; the invitations to the Ruritanian Armed Forces Days Reception at the Marriott didn't materialise; CDS's DPSO was no longer on the phone wanting you to set up a call with the local CHoD; The DI Watchkeeper no longer bothers you with asking why HN troops are assembling in large numbers on the border; ASCOT Ops are no longer ringing you at 0300 wanting an urgent Dip Clear...

It sounds like Capt Warne deserved it. Maybe the reality of the home truths relating to Warnes behahior and possibly the fact that the Cdr hadn’t stamped on said behaviour lead to a pretty lenient response. Just saying like...

To attack an officer of a lower rank, the accused must have been out of his tree. Although often deserved it is just not done. Punching out the host is also seriously impolite. One doubts the officer was a gentleman.

Dwarf

LE
We all have our vices.
I'm with @Chimp here.What's wrong with the normal (for here) sexually depraved/alcoholic abuse style vices?

Reading that paper vs punching matelots seems to be clear as to the best/worst.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
To attack an officer of a lower rank, the accused must have been out of his tree. Although often deserved it is just not done. Punching out the host is also seriously impolite. One doubts the officer was a gentleman.
Bolleux - one of the best fights I ever witnessed was between two officers Capt/Lt after a Cpls Mess invitation to Officers Mess for a Games Night. We knew who the orderly officer would be for the next month or so! Said punch-up took place on the verandah of the Mess.

Were they arguing about saluting?

Are we sure the Capatin was not Senior Service?
It sounds like the start of a great dit - a soldier, a sailor and an airman (air Commodore??) were at a bash in abuja...

An 18 grand fine for having a scrap while on the piss! Oooft.....thank f**k lm getting out.

About 2006/2007, l had a full on scrap with my OC while in a pub in Gutersloh. He was a hard b*stard and l admit l came out of it worse but he was by no means unscathed.
He got me in his office first thing on Monday morning, shook my hand, apologised, congratulated me on a good fight and we had a great laugh about it. It was never mentioned again.

When men were men and the Army still had a place for them!

An 18 grand fine for having a scrap while on the piss! Oooft.....thank f**k lm getting out.

About 2006/2007, l had a full on scrap with my OC while in a pub in Gutersloh. He was a hard b*stard and l admit l came out of it worse but he was by no means unscathed.
He got me in his office first thing on Monday morning, shook my hand, apologised, congratulated me on a good fight and we had a great laugh about it. It was never mentioned again.

When men were men and the Army still had a place for them!
He's got away lightly, fighting in front of other nations Officers in another country in the Mess (accommodation). It's a bit different from a tear-up in a garrison boozer.

Isn’t 51 quite old for a Major? Was he LE?

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Isn’t 51 quite old for a Major? Was he LE?

Not if the reported salary is correct. LE salaries top out below 60k.

I suspect he was just passed over a decade ago and kept cruising along as a career major. Or the reporter has got his salary wrong.

In fairness, he probably got let off for punching a gobby sailor. It's a bit of community service really.
He didn't give him a good kicking just a few love taps though so in my book the punishment should have been more for embarrassing the Army.

Latest Threads