Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Major M L forge

jcm649

War hero
I am having a bit of a clear out, lurking in the back of my wardrobe was my mess kit, last worn in 1990, time to go thinks I.
I had 2 pairs of No 1 trousers acquired somewhere in the dark and distant past, in one is a label showing the original owner to be one M L Forge, Normandy RMAS.
Being interested in Genealogy and Military History I though a quick bit of research over a coffee might turn up who the owner was.
From the London Gazzette I find:
2nd Lt M L Forge (468997) 29-7-1961
Lt 29-1-1963
Capt 29-7-1967
Maj 6-7-1976
While he was the OC of 205 Signal Squadron he was unfortunately killed in a "Friendly Fire" incident in the Falklands campaign.
My original plan to sling them in a skip is now on hold.

Urrgh, dead man's pants. We had a block named after him at the AACollege at Harrogate, we were always told he died in a helicopter crash during the war

If that is Mike Forge, I am pretty sure he was also a senior sport jumper when I was just starting.
@Alec_Lomas might know.

Edit- just checked that paradata link.
That's him, must have met him at Lippspringe in 77.

I am having a bit of a clear out, lurking in the back of my wardrobe was my mess kit, last worn in 1990, time to go thinks I.
I had 2 pairs of No 1 trousers acquired somewhere in the dark and distant past, in one is a label showing the original owner to be one M L Forge, Normandy RMAS.
Being interested in Genealogy and Military History I though a quick bit of research over a coffee might turn up who the owner was.
From the London Gazzette I find:
2nd Lt M L Forge (468997) 29-7-1961
Lt 29-1-1963
Capt 29-7-1967
Maj 6-7-1976
While he was the OC of 205 Signal Squadron he was unfortunately killed in a "Friendly Fire" incident in the Falklands campaign.
My original plan to sling them in a skip is now on hold.

He was my Godfather so please if ever you decide to get rid let me know.