Major-General David McDowall MBE, from private to general.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Smucking-FartARRSE, Aug 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Did a search and couldn't find this anywhere yet on Arrse, twas in yesterdays Daily Record

SCOTLAND'S top soldier has told for the first time of his rise through the ranks from humble private to general.

Link to Major-General David McDowall MBE article
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Well done that soldier! Presumably his achievement won't stop tossers like Mandelson from referring to all Generals as 'chinless wonders'.
  3. :p
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Well done him, ex R Signals too :wink:
  5. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I'd rather like to see him pipe at the end of the Tattoo. What a way to sign off.
  6. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Agreed, it would be a hell of a way to bow out.
  7. When is the book due out....that ould be a very interesting read! Wll done that man!!!!!!!
  8. served with him, what a star a bloody decent bloke..........
    hope to see him pipe as well, he aint half bad
  9. Hope for me yet then! :D
  10. The bloke is an absolute star, a more likable CO/CO MCM Div/SOinC you will never meet.

And no, I never did buy has SAAB :wink:
  11. My bold. That's exactly what I thought when I first read the article in the paper. Lets keep our fingers crossed, if he does write one, it will definitely be at the top of my 'Books to buy list'

Top bloke.
  12. It would actually be a book worth buying.

13. No he's not.
  14. I agree partly with both jock and paul.

At some things he was fantastic such as knowing what was going on, how to talk to people and win the the army RU cup. On the other hand he was the most conniving manipulator I have ever worked for (3 times). Having said all that he was a million percent better in every respect than the complete knob who replaced him at 7.

I've said before he would make a good prime-minister.