Major-General David McDowall MBE, from private to general.

Daily Record said:
He said: "I may be the only general in the Army to start as a private but I still get some banter from sergeants.

"They say 'Sir, you might be a good enough soldier to be a general but you only made corporal, you weren't good enough to be a sergeant'."
:p

chedder04 said:
served with him, what a star a bloody decent bloke..........
hope to see him pipe as well, he aint half bad
The bloke is an absolute star, a more likable CO/CO MCM Div/SOinC you will never meet.

And no, I never did buy has SAAB :wink:

paleblue_1 said:
When is the book due out....that ould be a very interesting read! Wll done that man!!!!!!!
My bold. That's exactly what I thought when I first read the article in the paper. Lets keep our fingers crossed, if he does write one, it will definitely be at the top of my 'Books to buy list'

Top bloke.

I agree partly with both jock and paul.

At some things he was fantastic such as knowing what was going on, how to talk to people and win the the army RU cup. On the other hand he was the most conniving manipulator I have ever worked for (3 times). Having said all that he was a million percent better in every respect than the complete knob who replaced him at 7.

I've said before he would make a good prime-minister.

the_guru said:
heidtheba said:
chedder04 said:
served with him, what a star a bloody decent bloke..........
hope to see him pipe as well, he aint half bad
The bloke is an absolute star, a more likable CO/CO MCM Div/SOinC you will never meet.

And no, I never did buy has SAAB :wink:

No he's not.[/quote]

Opinions.

That was mine, this is yours.

I must be a cnut then as he promoted me twice. (Or was it just 'cause I'm scottish and a footballer).
I always found him very approuchable and a man of his word.

At his dining out in Bruggen in 2004, he remembered every single one of his old lads from 7 by first name. That to me speaks volumes about the bloke.

GBS, couldn't agree more about his replacement, (and the one that left last year).

I'm delighted to hear this. I'm not R Sigs but I knew Maj Gen McDowall as a squadron commander in NI in the late '80s; our paths crossed again in Bosnia (or Kosovo), and I remember having a chat with him after his promotion to Brig, in 2000 or thereabouts. He told me then how proud his father had been, and how he'd taken his son down to the local Legion for a drink with all his ex-servicemen pals. I always found David McDowall straight, modest and immensely likeable. Congratulations, General!