Major cyber spy network uncovered

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PoisonDwarf, Mar 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Major cyber spy network uncovered

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7970471.stm

Dodgy fcukers.

2. This has been given a generous amount of airtime on BBC,so there is(or would seem) to be something true about it.

The Chinese have denied the story,so it must be true.

3. Never trust a country where they eat dogs... :roll:

4. I'm truly gobsmacked. They don't usually get caught.

The list of targets makes for interesting reading, the expected names are there but the unexpected ones seem to be linked by ocean transit/sea lanes rather than trade or resources. Why anyone would care about what the Romanians think is beyond me. An insight into NATO or just a target of opportunity?

P.S. a very patient lady who once tried to teach me Mandarin told me that, "only a low sort of person" ate dog. Mind you, she was from Dalian - those Manchu airs...

5. How much duff information has GCHQ been feeding the chinks?????

6. Recently there was a virus caught on one of the RAFs servers that was redirecting emails to China. God bless the RAF.

7. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

This is very old news. Just like the fact the Chinese have 'Divisions' of nerds whose sole purpose it is to hack DoD, MoD, Foreign Office, Dept Of State, NSA, etc computers. I beleive in all but the last case they have had triumphs, albeit with varying degrees of sucess.

8. Would we notice if they stuck a virus or two or even fully hacked into JPA, Dii et al??

Might even make them work. We should give the chinks the next contract for an MoD puter system.

9. Or a few inches of snow.

10. It may be old news in principle, but in this case the information provided is very specific. See here for some detailed analysis, courtesy of a gentleman with a good reputation in the information security world.

11. The Germans of all people recently set up a "counter cyber warfare" unit, although when asked the Colonel in command said they could also be "pro-active" :wink: