Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Ozgerbobble, Dec 8, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Game show cheat Charles Ingram has been declared bankrupt.

The 41-year-old ex-Army major presented a Debtor's Petition to a judge at Bath County Court on November 25.

Ingram and his wife Diana, who were convicted of lying their way to the top prize in Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?, went to court in October to plead poverty and beg for financial mercy.

It has been reported that Ingram has debts of nearly £374,000, though the official figure has not been revealed.

Ingram used coughs from college lecturer Tecwen Whittock, who sat among the other contestants, to steer himself to the correct answers and the £1m jackpot.

Ingram, his wife and Whittock were convicted of deception and were fined £15,000 each, ordered to pay £10,000 costs and given 18-month suspended jail sentences.

Despite bankruptcy, Ingram could face a jail term if he fails to pay the £15,000 fine.

A spokeswoman from the Insolvency Service explained: "A fine imposed by a criminal court is not included when you are declared bankrupt.

"A person who has declared themselves bankrupt would therefore still have to pay this fine or face jail."

:twisted: :lol: :lol:
  2. Oh, wrong Ingram :(
  3. Do you know, the more I hear about Mr Ingram the more I feel sorry for him. He just comes across as a bumbling silly man who took a chance, and although I'm lost at how he made it to the rank of Major I think he's quite harmless.
  4. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Indeed. The other one has been morally bankrupt for years...
  5. Bloody wedge heads cant trust any of them
  6. How much would he get for his wife? :twisted:
  7. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Not much - unless you wanted her for firelighters.
  8. Coughing Charles to give him his correct handle is a devious git. He lives in a rented house that must cost at least £1000 a month to rent - it was his military hiring before he was sacked; which, it should be remembered doesn't seem to stop him drawing an army pension - not sure why he gets special treatment, presumably something to do with edited One child at public school blah blah blah. Crooked as the proverbial stile, mile, old man etc all rolled into one. I think we should all declare ourselves bankrupt, cushy number.

On a lighter note - bloody funny if one finds oneself in the same Doctors waiting room as him or wife, all the septics on sick parade trying hard NOT to cough despite being sick as parrots!!
  9. My heart bleeds purple urine.
    He was a crap OC and his wife, pah words fail me.
    He should of been sentenced to life imprisonment with Jade Goody, not just a couple of weeks. :twisted:
  10. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

If he had disappeared after his convition and eaten a large amount of humble pie then there might be a grain of sympathy. But the Grade 1 t*sser has lorded himself around the arse end of the celebrity circuit making himself (and therefore by implication the Army) a laughing stock.

I wonder what happended to his fees for all of those TV appearances? Obviously didnt go towards paying the fine.

And SKJOLD is right; he was a crap officer.
  11. He was not sacked... He was given a way out to resign on full pension rights which he took.
  12. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

I am not defending this bloke (he is a total knob) but ... I think he was told to resign; if he hadn't he would have been discharged. It matters little because in both cases his pension rights would have remained intact as those have been earned as a result of contributions direct from salary over the course of his service. There was the same discussion over the KRH major binned for shagging his chief clerk. The result is the same. No job.
  13. The bit that was edited out of here was a reference to 'Freemasonry in the Royal Engineers' - Aren't we allowed to talk about that?

On the subject of the retention of pension rights - as I understood it; if one was given a custodial sentence, even it is suspended, one is automatically discharged from the service. If discharged, surely you lose your pension rights?
  14. wonder what the going rate "inside" is in lieu of £15,000 fine?