Major attack in Kabul.......ongoing

I wonder what that will do about the withdrawal plans, the comment from the Afghan MP was a very interesting one about the ability of the Afghan police to carry out their job.

Nothing to see, move along. We've long lost in afghanistan and the only question now, is who will be the last Tom killed before we get out of Dodge?

Was someone in Talib HQ reading a book about the Tet Offensive, but only got halfway through the book...

Was someone in Talib HQ reading a book about the Tet Offensive, but only got halfway through the book...

This is not the Talibs doing a Tet. This is the Talibs setting the groundwork for being seen having 'seen off' the 'Crusader Forces". it's actually pretty good smarts on the behslf of the Talibs, after all, the goatherd in the street doesn't much know or care we are leaving anyway.
Perceptions are everything, and we will be seen as having been defeated by achmed the goatherd.

I reckon it's due to the senior officers not being capable, not absorbing management theory and losing their only creative thinker some time ago.

Having said that, don't they do this every year at the same time?

This is not the Talibs doing a Tet. This is the Talibs setting the groundwork for being seen having 'seen off' the 'Crusader Forces". it's actually pretty good smarts on the behslf of the Talibs, after all, the goatherd in the street doesn't much know or care we are leaving anyway.
Perceptions are everything, and we will be seen as having been defeated by achmed the goatherd.
Again. Will we never learn?

They've just broken 400 cannon fodder out of nick in Pakistan.

They've probably been building up to this for some time... and I'd expect more. As sunnof points out, if they can indicate a show of strength before ISAF start heading for the exits, then their job 'post-ISAF' is justgetting easier.

Nothing to see, move along. We've long lost in afghanistan and the only question now, is who will be the last Tom killed before we get out of Dodge?
Kommrade, take this man outside and have him shot 'for making defeatist comments' also he didn't sing 'The Internationale' loud enough!

Could there possibly be an extension to tours if their police can't cope and govt is nervous. I would have thought Taliban would up the ante to be in a position of strength anyway?

Could there possibly be an extension to tours if their police can't cope and govt is nervous. I would have thought Taliban would up the ante to be in a position of strength anyway?
Doubtful, even though ISAF is a NATO mission, the US are running the show...it is their war after all (despite the fact that when they realised they****ed it up they tried to pass it onto the UN and when they wouldn't take it they passed it onto NATO). They will do what they did in Iraq.....spouted off about how the Iraqis can handle the security situation now and bugged out. Seem to recall they did that in Vietnam as well. Don't you just love traditions.

I don't think its anything against the nips (or the Iranians), I think its to show that they have the ability to attack high profile targets that are allegedly secure anywhere in Kabul.
Having an embassy in Karzai's Kabul puts any country on Pindi's and therefore the Haqqanis shit list.

Qom is also very chummy with Karzai and maybe waiting slip into the vacum ISAF will leave. Various Terry groups have a long history of brutal sectarian attacks on Afghan Shia that Qom provides aid to. Mullah Omar's mob did lynch a handful of Iranian diplomats during their methodical massacre of Mazār-e Sharīf which had the Iranians ready to invade but that eigit Clinton baulked. All of which might lead you to think the fire worshippers and Terry are not naturally the best of friends.

That of course won't stop the IRGC bunging Terry the odd bit of kit to wind us up, the Persians are a sleekit bunch and will happily play one enemy off against another.