Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maj. Sam McGrath’s Para Fitness book

That's a good way to knacker your spine, and likely your knees. The weight should be around the hips and resting on the webbing if you're doing that much weight. And a proper bergen, so the weight isn't bouncing all over the place.
Yeah I know that just running with 30kg will make me really badly injured. It was a pretty terrible idea. I sometimes hill walk with weight but nowhere near that much

Yeah I know that just running with 30kg will make me really badly injured. It was a pretty terrible idea. I sometimes hill walk with weight but nowhere near that much

Looks like you already have an advantage.

I smoked 20 a day during basic, and I still found it physically easier than half the intake.

RandyLahey

Clanker
Yeah just run as you are pal. Make sure you’ve got good running shoes, and that you jog a mile or so before you run as a warm up. Only stretch your legs after you’ve run and as soon as possible.

You’re doing everything right for the time being and to tell you the truth you’re probably ready for phase 1 at depot now. Just with the Assessment Centre and PRAC they’ll want to see how you do in a military environment and a little test of your grit in the steeplechase and 4 miler, etc.

Really the only thing you should be doing is a 6 miler every week or two. They’re not as difficult as people make them out to be just don’t stop running and it’ll finish. Eventually you get quicker and quicker and when you hit that sub 40 minute time you know that you have fitness required.

Peg

Swinger
Day on/day off worked for me with circuits on the ‘off’ days. Running days involved either 1.5 mile best efforts, 3mile fast paced, 6 miles Medium efforts, 10 miles steady pace or interval training. Having said that, everybody is different so find what work for you. Be aware of over training and ffs make stretching/foam rolling a habit

I wish you well for the future you're planning. I can't comment on the physical preparation but strongly echo the "personal admin" tips. The training should sort out the body, but some might struggle with keeping their kit up to speed, and their personal hygiene good. To bowwow a Royal Marines advertising slogan "It's a state of mind".

Consider changing your name by deed poll to "Joe". From what I've seen on TV recently, it won't make the training easier, but will give the impression that all the instructors are your mates. Once you've passed the training and join your regiment, you could change it again, to "Tom". Good luck.