Maj Richard 'Dick' Winters..Easy Company..506 PIR...

Discussion in 'US' started by jack-daniels, Jan 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I thoroughly enjoyed 'Band of Brothers' and recently finished reading his memoirs. An inspiring leader and a great man. May he Rest In Peace.
  2. _Chimurenga_

_Chimurenga_ LE Gallery Guru

3. RIP Sir

Who better than the men he led to praise him
  4. Lived quietly on a farm in Hershey Pennsylavania, occasionally made trips to Ft. Benning and West Point to give speeches on leadership.
  5. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

RIP Airborne easy Sir.
  6. RIP a true leader and hero
  7. Read a few books about him and there always seems continued interest in Easy Company, there can't be many left.

8. Rest in Peace - a truly remarkable man.

One of the few things that history can thank Steven Ambrose for, is that fact that the example Winters (and his men) set was so well recorded and acknowledged across the world.

Edited to add that I would thoroughly recommend the following book to anyone who wants to know more about Winters' life, and his personal take on much that occured during the events of "Band of Brothers" Biggest Brother : The Life of Major Dick Winters, The Man Who Led the Band of Brothers (9780451215109): Larry Alexander: Books
  9. Always seemed to be a thoroughly nice chap on TV.

My thoughts are with his family.
  10. RIP

A fine man.
  11. RIP, a truly remarkable man.

Never one to blow his own trumpet, but praised everyone around himself, a very modest and humble man. Many could learn a lot from him.
  12. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

Me and mrs DW were watching band of brothers yesterday night and I think you'll struggle to find a finer example of exemplary leadership in combat anyway else.

RIP sir
  13. Rest in peace Sir,