Maj (Ret) Ron Hails, late R Sigs

Sad to announce that Ron passed away yesterday after a long & debillating illness.
Our thoughts & prayers if you please to his widow Rita in N Yorks.
R.I.P.

That's bad news. He was a proper old school Sergeant Major. He was a nasty scary piece of work. Just like he should have been.

RIP.

Knew him as a staffie whilst I was at Harrogate, seemed to occupy a store room somewhere between Scott and Rawson.
Echo the afore-mentioned sentiments, he was thoroughly professional, not the sort of person you wanted a dressing-down from though, he could peel the f*cking skin off your face.

Had some decent conversations with him (yep, as an A/T) once he sussed I was from his neck of the woods, there was a nice, warm-hearted bloke behind the professional soldier.

My sincere condolences to Rita and his family, he'll be sadly missed by anyone who knew him.

To echo the above it is indeed bad news. Was only talking about him yesterday, he had been through the mill over the last 15 months or so.

He was old school but that is by no ways was a bad thing. He would pop in over the last few years for a coffee and to see what I had that he could use!

Sincere condolences to Rita and his family.

Q.

I'd like to relate a little story. I was at 2 Sqn, 21 Sigs (AS) in Osnabruck. Ron had not long ago arrived as the Sqn's Admin Officer. When we'd heard he was coming, those that knew him previously (I knew him when he was Training Wing SSM at Harrogate) were filled with trepidation. I happened to be on duty one day and was doing something or other in the Sqn Office when I saw a gaggle of people round one of the windows. I wandered over (there were all ranks stood there from Sig to Capt), wondering what was up. It appeared that one of the Toms had failed to salute Ron correctly and was in the midst of an impromptu drill lesson, being instructed in the ways of correctly saluting an Officer. The SSM wandered out, looked at what was going on, muttered an expletive and went outside to sort it out. Ron settled down over the months and whilst still was someone that you wouldn't want to cross, became very approachable and helpful. The last time I saw him was in Catterick. I was playing Regimental football for 8 Sigs and he turned up to referee the game. He was, of course, immaculately turned out and looked like MacKay in Porridge where he was reffing a game between the lags and celebs. He showed exactly how a game should be reffed. He did it like a Rugby ref would do it, brooking no dissent and explaining every decision fully.

There'll be some that will only remember the screaming skull side, but he was more than that

Sad news. A thoroughly professional soldier and a fine example of the true values and standards of the British Army. RIP Ron.

To echo the above it is indeed bad news. Was only talking about him yesterday, he had been through the mill over the last 15 months or so.

He was old school but that is by no ways was a bad thing. He would pop in over the last few years for a coffee and to see what I had that he could use!

Sincere condolences to Rita and his family.

Q.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the life of me I can not remember this fella.... Lots of memory loss I fear.
All I can think of whilst in Scarborough Barracks did he hold the position of QM ?
His office would have been a little building near the cookhouse tween the Signals Block and RAOC Block...
Sad loss I am sure to those that knew him well.
My condolensences to his family.....

nnnn

For the life of me I can not remember this fella.... Lots of memory loss I fear.
All I can think of whilst in Scarborough Barracks did he hold the position of QM ?
His office would have been a little building near the cookhouse tween the Signals Block and RAOC Block...
Sad loss I am sure to those that knew him well.
My condolensences to his family.....

I don't think Ron was ever QM in Scarborough, he ended his working days as an RO with RCFA in the NE of England (used to be TAVRA).

as far as I'm aware the cemetery and/or crematorium are not restricted areas, if you know the deceased and wish to pay your respects, crack on!

from the RSA website, Last Post page ... "The funeral of Ron Hails will be held at 1300 hrs 28 Feb at the Crematorium, Stonefall Cemetery,
Weatherley Rd, Harrogate."

Just had this in by email:

I have today spoken to the widow of Major Ron, and she has not seen the tributes to her husband on the site yet, and I mentioned to her that some one had said they would like to go to the funeral but are unsure whether it would be protocol.. Rita says YES, the more the merrier and she would be very pleased for anyone who wishes to attend.. please can you cascade this ? I am not forces, just a civilian who was lucky enough to have known him.

This was sent to me from New Zealand, I have passed it to Rita.

"I have just heard of Ronnie Hails’ death and am deeply saddened by the news. Ron and I first met in 1967 where we worked together in recruit training at 11 Signal Regiment, Catterick. Ron was more than an outstanding soldier; he was a diamond to work with. He was gifted with an abundance of natural leadership, wit and integrity. All those who came to know him will remember his ready jokes and warm charm. He was a lovely human being and we are all now poorer for our shared and very sad loss." Ken Stewart.

BTW, I have also passed on a copy of the posts made here and from the RSA page on Facebook.

A great turnout today for Ron I am pleased that I was able to make it and see so many old faces.

There were even a couple of quotes from the above posts, brought a smile to my face when I heard the usernames of slipperman and colin1 read out.

To echo many of the words said today - A true gent who will be missed.

Q.

Latest Threads