Maj Gen Mackay says MoD incapable of fighting modern wars

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jumpinjarhead, Jan 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Note the MoD spin:

2. msr

msr LE

3. Well, well. Queen Anne is dead, don't you know?
  4. Another recently retired senior brass states the bloody obvious. Very quiet while serving, another book coming out soon I guess!
  5. I don't think so. He resigned.
  6. 'Sorry-I did a search but missed it.
  7. See your twenty and raise you fifty
  8. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

And good riddance too.
  9. You need to do your homework. He is still serving. Last I heard is not out until March
  10. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

So what? He has gone, fallen on his sword etc etc. I only wish he was so proactively involved when he commanded.

Whilst under his command, a more able defender of the "correct/party line/dictate" I have yet to hear. Afghanistan (or perhaps the realisation that he wasn't going to go any further) seems to have spurred on this sudden gobbiness and chest beating.

I'm sure the book will do well :roll:
  11. General Monck (father of the British Army) wrote in 1671.....................

"A General is not so much blamed for making trial of an ill-digested project, as he will be for the obstinate continuing of the same. Therefore the speediest leaving of any such enterprise doth excuse the rashness which might be imputed to the beginning".

Make what you wish of that folks.
  12. Surely in Afghan we're incapable off fighting an ancient war? If we're fighting a modern war surely the Taliban would be engaging us with JDAMS, armoured battle groups, UAVs c/w Hellfire etc.

Probably just pedantry on my part, he is a Maj-Gen after all and I'm not.............................
  13. The wars you describe are industrial wars of the last century.
    Winning the people is the present war.
    Makes sense then that most of our theory (at least at junior level) is Heavy Metal centric.
    Learning for the last war then. Again.
  14. T-b-bt, I think the Maj-Gen was quoted as saying "modern WARS". The one previous to Afghan was still going on this century (Iraq), the last century only being 10 (just) years ago. I believe we are capable of winning this current war, we just need our political masters to give an EXACT mission requirement.

Also at what level do you believe the thinking switches to Light-Role Centric?