Maj Gen Holmes (RM) found dead

Seriously, in today’s social media environment, what makes you think that an email from 1SL and entreaties from the CGRM that supplanted Holmes would stop the leaks/comments about the whole thing?

These days everybody apparently leaks to the Press, no reason the Naval Service should be any different surely? Good luck on trying to put this particular fire out, distasteful and full of disinformation as it seems to be.
My point was those who think they’re leaking “for the good of the Corps” are simply reinforcing the beliefs that led to Radakin thinking and behaving the way he did - especially over the CG/CMC relationship.

I’d suggest this only ends one way, and it won’t be the magical reversal of FCF, the return of a full time 2* CGRM and an untouched Corps…

My point was those who think they’re leaking “for the good of the Corps” are simply reinforcing the beliefs that led to Radakin thinking and behaving the way he did - especially over the CG/CMC relationship.

I’d suggest this only ends one way, and it won’t be the magical reversal of FCF, the return of a full time 2* CGRM and an untouched Corps…

What essentially is FCF about - (Future Commando Force )

Archie

Archie

Maintaining a cutting edge military capability - whilst realising it ability to control areas of the world / battlefield reduces and reduces and redu .......

We are a little group of islands that are no longer allowed to be as tough as we dare.

Get down on one knee

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

I couldn’t agree more.

Was the whole thing such a massive issue for the RM?

I couldn’t agree more.

Was the whole thing such a massive issue for the RM?

For those in units - I doubt they even noticed, yet alone cared.

For those who worried about the long term implications of not having an “independent” 2* fighting their “corner”, I imagine for some it was existential.

It probably doesn’t help that lots of RM Officers are only SQEP for the Ops CF, and thus watched “their” path to General-dom disappear. It’ll be interesting to see how many stabby-stabby bootnecks will now be making bids for C&A, Pers and MD CFs as mid-seniority OF3s.

the whole thing is bloody silly - the RM are safe under the same umbrella which pays for them, the submarine service, the FAA,etc. It's when they try and break free and forget they're part of the navy that they want to worry...

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

For those who worried about the long term implications of not having an “independent” 2* fighting their “corner”, I imagine for some it was existential.

It probably doesn’t help that lots of RM Officers are only SQEP for the Ops CF, and thus watched “their” path to General-dom disappear. It’ll be interesting to see how many stabby-stabby bootnecks will now be making bids for C&A, Pers and MD CFs as mid-seniority OF3s.
Well, I suppose that’s the dark blue view, I’d be interested to hear a Lovat view from somebody out there.

Interesting that the Army managed to smash down Arms & Services Directors (a bunch of ‘underworked museum curators’ according to a certain CDS a few years ago) to 1* level and in the case of my cap badge from multiple 2*s to a single OF5.

Well, I suppose that’s the dark blue view, I’d be interested to hear a Lovat view from somebody out there.

Interesting that the Army managed to smash down Arms & Services Directors (a bunch of ‘underworked museum curators’ according to a certain CDS a few years ago) to 1* level and in the case of my cap badge from multiple 2*s to a single OF5.
A lot of the concerns over tied 2* positions were/are also shared by submariners and aviators. First is extraordinarily hard over that career choices by individuals at 18-25 should not constrain his ability to select Flag Officers 20+ years later…

It sounds like another placebo solution of the kind that is introduced every time there are swingeing reductions in numbers and capability in the armed forces.

(AKA: These cuts should be viewed as an excellent opportunity to optimise a national defence infrastructure capable of meeting the changing global needs of the 21st century. We will be by introducing x... etc)

The hand-over.

Radakin's speech VERY PERTINENT from 33:12 . . . with Maj Gen Holmes himslef from 42:15 . . . . . . poignantly mentioning mental health within the Corps at 44:24 :( .

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
It is unfortunate that this is being discussed on a thread about the sad death of a good man. Perhaps another thread would better?

I thought that the Bootnecks were genuinely enthusiastic about FCF as it makes them different from (normal) infantry and is a return to the amphibious roots of the RM Commandos?

Maintaining a cutting edge military capability - whilst realising it ability to control areas of the world / battlefield reduces and reduces and redu .......

We are a little group of islands that are no longer allowed to be as tough as we dare.

Get down on one knee

I thought it was about changing their operating model, and a future of operations below Commando level, perhaps a company or less, and forward basing?

A lot of the concerns over tied 2* positions were/are also shared by submariners and aviators. First is extraordinarily hard over that career choices by individuals at 18-25 should not constrain his ability to select Flag Officers 20+ years later…

The briefing I received was that he had little choice - he had to find the funds for more junior personnel to go the sea, and to show the politicians that he was doing everything he could.

It sounds like another placebo solution of the kind that is introduced every time there are swingeing reductions in numbers and capability in the armed forces.

(AKA: These cuts should be viewed as an excellent opportunity to optimise a national defence infrastructure capable of meeting the changing global needs of the 21st century. We will be by introducing x... etc)

Cuts? FCF is not about cuts - as I understand the idea is moving away from either deploying 3 Cdo Bde in its entirety to a more agile model, with forward basing and new technologies?

It is unfortunate that this is being discussed on a thread about the sad death of a good man. Perhaps another thread would better?

I thought that the Bootnecks were genuinely enthusiastic about FCF as it makes them different from (normal) infantry and is a return to the amphibious roots of the RM Commandos?

I thought it was about changing their operating model, and a future of operations below Commando level, perhaps a company or less, and forward basing?

The briefing I received was that he had little choice - he had to find the funds for more junior personnel to go the sea, and to show the politicians that he was doing everything he could.

Cuts? FCF is not about cuts - as I understand the idea is moving away from either deploying 3 Cdo Bde in its entirety to a more agile model, with forward basing and new technologies?

What is forward basing and new technologies all about to me it looks like wishy washy drivel the result senior officer making up shit

Archie

Yokel

LE
Two forward deployed 'Littoral Response Groups' - admittedly one of them UK based, but that is for a NATO role, a company of 42 Cdo based in/with the carrier, and smaller RM detachments....

E9Kd_Y3XoAIUrmS.jpg

Both the LRGs will, I believe, rotate companies from 40 Cdo and 45 Cdo.

I find it nothing short of disgusting that some people who should know better a exploiting a tragedy to push the agenda of - well actually I am not sure, but it is smear campaign against the First Sea Lord. Understandably the RM community has closed ranks, but the question should not be about refusing to adapt, it should be about do senior (and other) personnel and former personnel get properly supported?

Talking to a bootie friend the other night it didn't even garner a mention, the lads are bothered about shit accommodation, poor admin and lack of numbers in the right places. Also that the sexy Crye uniform is shiiiite!

More from the MSM - leaked information / investigative reporting ?

Armed police seized a shotgun from the family home of a Royal Marines general just days before he was found hanged.

A response team recovered the weapon on September 22 after a relative raised concerns for Major General Matthew Holmes’ welfare.

Tragically, officers returned to the property on October 2, hours after the 54-year-old former Commandant General was found dead.

The highly decorated officer is also said to have behaved erratically at a formal dinner at the Commando Training Centre Royal Marines at Lympstone, Devon.

But retired Rear Admiral Chris Parry last night insisted everything had been done to protect the officer. He said: ‘My understanding is that the whole top echelon of the Royal Navy, especially the First Sea Lord [Sir Tony], the Commandant General [Lt Gen Rob Magowan] and [Vice Admiral Jerry Kyd] were in close and frequent personal contact with him during his final week to encourage and support him.’

MSM link

Interesting thread however the tragedy of Mag Gen Holmes passing is the prime concern here.
The armed forces community Both Serving and veteran do not seem to be Learning lessons just revisiting mistakes.

Armed police seized a shotgun from the family home of a Royal Marines general just days before he was found hanged.

A response team recovered the weapon on September 22 after a relative raised concerns for Major General Matthew Holmes’ welfare.

Tragically, officers returned to the property on October 2, hours after the 54-year-old former Commandant General was found dead.

The highly decorated officer is also said to have behaved erratically at a formal dinner at the Commando Training Centre Royal Marines at Lympstone, Devon.

But retired Rear Admiral Chris Parry last night insisted everything had been done to protect the officer. He said: ‘My understanding is that the whole top echelon of the Royal Navy, especially the First Sea Lord [Sir Tony], the Commandant General [Lt Gen Rob Magowan] and [Vice Admiral Jerry Kyd] were in close and frequent personal contact with him during his final week to encourage and support him.’

MSM link
Penultimate paragraph within that link very telling. The coroner instructing the RN to provide a statement, explaining their involvement.

The coroner could do a lot worse, than reading this thread.

Yokel

LE
The late Major General Holmes has been posthumously awarded the American Legion of Merit - news here.

In addition to the honours list, the late Major General Matt Holmes was awarded the Legion of Merit – a prestigious honour from the United States Armed Forces.

The medal is granted to individuals who demonstrate an exceptional level of meritorious conduct.

US authorities granted the honour to Maj Gen Holmes, the former Commandant General of the Royal Marines, for the ‘outstanding leadership and personal initiative’ he showed during his service in Afghanistan three years ago.

Yokel

LE
As for the Future Commando Force and the Littoral Response Groups, I think that they were discussed at the recent Pacific Future Forum, and the idea is one of having rapid response forces that can they been reinforced, such as deploying the rest of 40 or 45 Cdo, combining both LRGs, sending a carrier group, and so on.

The discussion might on YouTube or similar.

Please can we have no more conspiracy theories about amphibious capabilities being cuts, or the Royal Marines being sidelined.

MSM link
WTF would Chris Parrry know of this case? He left the Service over 10 years ago.

Latest Threads