Maj Gen Holmes (RM) found dead

I’m sorry, but the rationalisation of 2* posts in NCHQ has little to do with the RM’s “enhancement “
I am sorry that this action was seen by Holmes, as a possible degradation of what has produced results that have stood the test of time, by one who rose to the highest possible rank in the Corps, and certainly knew and understood it far better than the superior Officer, without that understanding, who made the decision to remove him from that post

Last edited:
The entire Corps was well aware that every other part of the environmental arms had been reduced to a head at the 1* level. This process started before Matt Holmes took over as CGRM, and he knew that the post was on the block for being removed.

I am truly sorry if that contributed to his state of mind, but it was not personal to Matt Holmes, nor, frankly, was it personal to the Corps: we had too many 2* posts that existed solely for presentational reasons, and they went.

It’s no different to FOST and NavSec being folded into one, and RAdm Will Warrander “losing” his job. When you’re appointed to 1* and above, you know that you serve on pretty shaky grounds - you sign a letter to confirm it.

The history of the Royal Marines began on 28 October 1664 with the formation of the Duke of York and Albany's Maritime Regiment of Foot soon becoming known as the Admiral's Regiment.
The Royal Marines became part of the Royal Navy on 5th April 1755. Up until then the Marine Regiments were part of the Army.

On a ve
The Royal Marines became part of the Royal Navy on 5th April 1755. Up until then the Marine Regiments were part of the Army.
To simplify a matter for you the discussion was the formation of the Corps...not under whose jurisdiction it came under.

Last edited:
The entire Corps was well aware that every other part of the environmental arms had been reduced to a head at the 1* level. This process started before Matt Holmes took over as CGRM, and he knew that the post was on the block for being removed.

I am truly sorry if that contributed to his state of mind, but it was not personal to Matt Holmes, nor, frankly, was it personal to the Corps: we had too many 2* posts that existed solely for presentational reasons, and they went.

It’s no different to FOST and NavSec being folded into one, and RAdm Will Warrander “losing” his job. When you’re appointed to 1* and above, you know that you serve on pretty shaky grounds - you sign a letter to confirm it.
History is full of necessary adjustments, amalgamations, and 'cutting one's cloth...'

I would be presumptuous to even suggest that the First Sea Lord's task is anything other than a hugely lonely onerous and heavy one, or that Holmes disputed or could dispute that. He stood down when ordered to do so

I simply feel, It will be clear to most, that Holmes saw that action as the degrading to the effectiveness of the branch of the service that he led, and had given all his life to, and this, in addition and top of other events in his life, would have played its part in what subsequently occurred.

Also quite understand that you feel duty bound to defend the actions on the Officer commanding the Royal Navy, of which the Royal Marines is a small part of.

I wish him joy in his promotion to Chief of Defence Staff

Last edited:
Loath as I am to add to this but Angry Ex Marine is more Angry Walt. Calling Maj Gen Holmes as an 'decorated soldier' not the sort of mistake an ex-Royal would make

It was me who called Holmes an outstanding soldier. It's a terminology thing, that's all; besides which, soldiering is what the RM do, isn't it?

Yokel

LE
Some Bootnecks get a bit hot under the collar when referred to as 'Soldiers'.

Anyway, from LinkedIn:

I personally consider the way so called Journalists are looking for an angle, for some whiff of conspiracy, to be very disrespectful.

Last edited:

The emails from Radakin denigrating and diminishing Matt Holmes and the RM-USMC relationship were all tickety-boo then?

...journalists are looking for an angle, for some whiff of conspiracy, to be very disrespectful.
That is what journalists do for a living...and anything that smells they will look at.

As it is said, the truth will out.

And Ye Shall Know the Truth and the Truth Shall Make You Free - John 8:32.

Last edited:

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Yokel

LE
The emails from Radakin denigrating and diminishing Matt Holmes and the RM-USMC relationship were all tickety-boo then?

What e-mails? Why would the RN leadership want to denigrate the RM relationship with the USMC when the RN as a whole benefits from a close relationship with the USN and USMC?

And Ye Shall Know the Truth and the Truth Shall Make You Free - John 8:32.

As they say the truth will out.

Why turn a tragedy into a witch hunt? You may or may not have noticed that there is an epidemic of male suicide in the West, with people that everyone thought were fine falling victim.

Last edited:

Sigh.

A bloke is dead. He shouldn’t have died, and we should’ve helped look after him a bit better.

If you think that the process of fundamentally changing the size and shape of the Flag/General Officer plot - inter alia, removing dedicated 2*s for Submariners, Aviators, Surface Warfare, Engineers and Logistics Officers, as well as RM - needs discussion, let’s do it elsewhere eh?

Crikey! Where did this muppet come from?

Regardless, in the traditional spirit of Arrse hospitality, I bid you a warm welcome to the group, my friend.

You’ve not yet got the hang of this site have you?
I've been a member for about 15 years, and I still haven't got the hang of it!!

G4Star

Old-Salt
They were playing Mess Cluedo at CTCRM Officers Mess.
It was Admiral Radakin, in the Billiard Room with the Candlestick.
So told to The Daily Wail journo who says the clue was in the game cluedo.

HarryBosch

War Hero
Given the relationship between RM and the USMC, that makes no sense at all. Examples of the relationship include fighting alongside in Korea ie Chosin Reservoir, the regular instructor exchanges (USMC at CTC when I was there as a PWI), arctic training of USMC, joint live fire exercises in Nevada, etcetera etcetera.
Edited for clarity

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
Given the relationship between RM and the USMC, that makes no sense at all. Examples of the relationship include fighting alongside in Korea ie Chosin Reservoir, the regular instructor exchanges (USMC at CTC when I was a PWI there), arctic training of USMC, joint live fire exercises in Nevada, etcetera etcetera.

Not to mention the relationship between the RN and the USMC - which includes having USMC jets aboard HMS Queen Elizabeth, and the RN and USN working very closely together within NATO and in places like the Arabian Gulf.

I wonder if it is part of a particularly nasty smear campaign, with no though to the added distress to a bereaved family.

Latest Threads