Maintaining Fitness?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Utred, Sep 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What should I be doing to maintain fitness?

Effectively I end up on a yearly roller coaster where in the winter I eat a huge quantity of pies and kebabs and drink stupid amounts. Then in the spring I'll rock out the door to run around and do something to find I've become a wreck. I then train to almost failure every day to get fit enough for various planned events / activities so I can enjoy them.

So what should I be doing to maintain fitness over the winter? I really don't have a clue about fitness. Running, press ups? How often should I be training? I'm pretty sure the government thing about mildly walking for 30 minutes 3 times a week isn't going to help me next spring if I try to spend a day paddling on a river or run around some hills.

2. The easiest and most effective method of maintaining fitness is to carry out fitness training.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

20 to 30 miles a week running is a good tick-over level for the winter.

4. I think the answer is in the second sentence.:crash: or give up the summer outings:giggle:

5. Heard that on running forums, hence my asking here - looking for something more generic. But what intensity are you doing in the summer? Is that 1/2, or 1/8 of normal? Instead of running every day are running every other day?

I generally only use running as an exercise to help build cardio, rather than do it for fun. If I just run 20-30 miles a week this winter, I can't see that it'll help me when I get in a boat and try and row. It's more the mechanics of "fitness" I'm interested in, and how to maintain a summer of brutal hardwork.

6. Brotherton Lad

It depends what you want to do in the summer. 20 to 30 miles a week will maintain cardio fitness. I'd probably have 2 days off, so runs would be in the 4 to 8 mile bracket in a fallow period, but then I'm a long distance runner.

A marathon runner will tick over on 40 mile a week and up his mileage to 70 or more before the 'season' starts. (So in round terms, my 'off' season would be about half of the competitive season mileage and less intense). A track athlete will reduce his mileage and significantly increase the intensity.

Of course, very serious athletes don't really have an off season, they always dangle on the edge of fatigue and injury.

7. Awesome response Brotherton Lad. I'll go by the 1/2 standard, and drop from every day to every other day.

Really appreciate the advice. What I could get away with in my 20's fitness wise I'm actually having to focus on and really seriously graft at in my late 30's. I just don't have the experience and knowledge of how to do that... My thanks again.

8. Brotherton Lad

Wait till you get to your 50s, those niggles that take ages to mend when you're 40 just sit there forever and stick their tongues out at you.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Wah?

Stop eating all the pies & kebabs chubbs and keep on training through winter as you do in summer. You said you train to failure in summer and that obviously works for you, so why are you asking for fitness advice? Whats different in winter compared to summer? Too cold for your little tootsies outside? :eek:) You will find that if you run 3 times a week throught, you wont need to absolutely kill yourself in spring to get fit for summer.

Getting fit is hard........... maintaining fitness is easy, so dont let it slip!

10. Too right it is. You'll be telling me it's character building being cold wet and miserable in a moment. But if I can avoid the hell I was in last spring by going for a few runs each week then I might just sign up for that.

11. Include Boxing in your training schedule. Great for cardio and stamina. Make sure you spar. Good luck

12. You are Utred R*G******N and I claim my arm ring. Sounds like you 'rack der discepwin'. Good luck finding that balance.

13. I fail to see why rain and cold should stop you training if you have wet/cold weather training gear, don't tell me that you have never rowed in the rain in the UK before. Also why do you kill yourself heavy training in the summer and then just stop over winter? What is the objective/philosophy behind this?

Not rocket science, just train less but keep training. Does your local club not have rowing machines? What type of rowing is this? I trained on the Tyne in all weathers except when there were ice-floes and can't see why you should need to stop.
    Over here the running season is in the winter and spring seasons as running a half or full marathon in summer is out of the question. Over the summer I just drop down the distance but keep one day a week to run 10 miles as that's easy to build back from.

Just keep running or whatever, there dark secret revealed, and I'm still fit and in my 50's, but yes those creaks get louder.

14. I'm 50 odd and whilst in service maintained fitness by running up Breakheart hill at Herford 7 Sigs. Now I continually run up the stairs in a nearby tower block. Do that a few times and you will know all about it.

15. I echo your point on tower block running, it's as good a workout or even better than plodding the pavements...