Mains Input Earth cable problem (pulled out)

The upstairs shower's stopped working - won't switch on.

First thing, I thought, was to check the "fuse". Helpfully, the shower isn't identified on the breaker box. However, nearby the electricity meter, there is a large green/yellow cable with a length of bare, twisted copper wires at one end. There is a box near the bare end that has lots of other earthing cables attached to it. The other end of the cable is connected to what looks like part of the mains input cutout.

By sheer coincidence, just before the shower problem was noticed, somebody had struggled a bit getting some kit out from the Harry Potter Bedroom where the electricity meter is located. I'm guessing that that somebody has actually pulled out the earth cable from the earth connection box. Everything mains electrical seems to be working, apart from the shower ... which is making me nervous (my youngest and I blew up his DC-DC 6 V to 70 kV converter at the weekend - it was rather spectacular - and I've got this mental image of spitzen und sparken suddenly flying out of the walls and stuff).

Now, I'm a cheapskate of the first order and would rather electrocute myself than give a honest tradesman the means of earning his crust or gold-plating his Rolls-Royce. Also SWMBO thinks that being qualified to design things in the low-power GHz range makes me eminently qualified for repairing and installing high-amperage pseudo-DC things. I'm also stupid, know nothing about house electrics, and like a challenge. So, I was wondering:

• Is the break in the earth connection from the cutout potentially(!) a problem that requires turning off everything until it's fixed?
  • Is the "bleeding obvious" place to reconnect the earth wire a job that an idiot can perform (it looks like it is)?
  • Should I switch the main breaker off before attempting to reconnect the earth (I presume so, but I'm also a lazy cheapskate and don't want to have to around sorting out any reset issues, and I've got a couple of test meters that I won't get upset about if they go BANG!)?
  • Should I feign a wrist injury that prevents me from using a screwdriver, get out a bank loan, and call in a professional?
(Actually, I'm mainly posting to watch those of you who know what you're doing cringe in horror or gleefully stand by to write me up on the EM thread)

Darwin awards more likely!

anglo

LE
The upstairs shower's stopped working - won't switch on.

First thing, I thought, was to check the "fuse". Helpfully, the shower isn't identified on the breaker box. However, nearby the electricity meter, there is a large green/yellow cable with a length of bare, twisted copper wires at one end. There is a box near the bare end that has lots of other earthing cables attached to it. The other end of the cable is connected to what looks like part of the mains input cutout.

By sheer coincidence, just before the shower problem was noticed, somebody had struggled a bit getting some kit out from the Harry Potter Bedroom where the electricity meter is located. I'm guessing that that somebody has actually pulled out the earth cable from the earth connection box. Everything mains electrical seems to be working, apart from the shower ... which is making me nervous (my youngest and I blew up his DC-DC 6 V to 70 kV converter at the weekend - it was rather spectacular - and I've got this mental image of spitzen und sparken suddenly flying out of the walls and stuff).

Now, I'm a cheapskate of the first order and would rather electrocute myself than give a honest tradesman the means of earning his crust or gold-plating his Rolls-Royce. Also SWMBO thinks that being qualified to design things in the low-power GHz range makes me eminently qualified for repairing and installing high-amperage pseudo-DC things. I'm also stupid, know nothing about house electrics, and like a challenge. So, I was wondering:

• Is the break in the earth connection from the cutout potentially(!) a problem that requires turning off everything until it's fixed?
  • Is the "bleeding obvious" place to reconnect the earth wire a job that an idiot can perform (it looks like it is)?
  • Should I switch the main breaker off before attempting to reconnect the earth (I presume so, but I'm also a lazy cheapskate and don't want to have to around sorting out any reset issues, and I've got a couple of test meters that I won't get upset about if they go BANG!)?
  • Should I feign a wrist injury that prevents me from using a screwdriver, get out a bank loan, and call in a professional?
(Actually, I'm mainly posting to watch those of you who know what you're doing cringe in horror or gleefully stand by to write me up on the EM thread)
Upload some photos

I don't think a lack of earth bonding should stop the shower working and, as you say, you'll make a perfectly adequate earth conductor if there is a fault.

There are various earthing schemes and it might strictly be a job for electricity company if the wire's come off their kit.

Why even think about fcuking about with something that you are not absolutely certain you know what you are doing, when said thing is known to be lethal? Not just to you, but to your family and any house guests.

Makes no sense to me.

Upload some photos
The red and black wires go to the electricity meter (as you would expect). The offending earth wire goes from the bottom of Photo 1 to the loose end shown in Photo 2.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

You can see the offending cable in the second picture.

I'd want someone qualifed looking at that,

If installed correctly it's not going to fall out as it's not supposed to be under any strain or stresses
if it isn't installed correctly then what else has been fitted equally badly?

In my last job the Electrician (supervisor) was always ranting about people doing iffy work and often bloody dangerous work that his guys had to sort out

The red and black wires go to the electricity meter (as you would expect). The offending earth wire goes from the bottom of Photo 1 to the loose end shown in Photo 2.

Doesn`t look as though the loose earth has ever been connected to me.

This sounds like a job for Capt Marvel AKA @Joshua Slocum

Why even think about fcuking about with something that you are not absolutely certain you know what you are doing, when said thing is known to be lethal? Not just to you, but to your family and any house guests.

Makes no sense to me.
Of course it doesn't make sense. Look at the two photos I've managed to post. I see a loose wire that just needs screwing back into its box, and my intelligence is at war with my innate desire to fix things that don't work when it all seems so simple.

If the frightened little ape in the back of my mind wasn't chittering in terror at large voltages and floating earths, my screwdriver would have been in there like a tramp on chips. It's like a hungry tiger seeing an innocent looking little lamb on the other side of the crocodile-infested river, and all the time having the scent of mint sauce drifting across its nose.

Then there's the Man Thing - having to call an electrician out to screw a piece of wire in???

endure

GCM
His Eminence is on the way to your house as we speak...

Doesn`t look as though the loose earth has ever been connected to me.
That was actually my first thought. Then I thought "Why would a qualified electrician leave a loose bare wire floating around near red and brown wires? Seems a little ... unprofessional? They'd have at least trimmed it and put some insulation tape over it, surely?". Then I had a brief Google and noted that it looked rather like some images of PME (TN-C-S) connections.

That was actually my first thought. Then I thought "Why would a qualified electrician leave a loose bare wire floating around near red and brown wires? Seems a little ... unprofessional? They'd have at least trimmed it and put some insulation tape over it, surely?". Then I had a brief Google and noted that it looked rather like some images of PME (TN-C-S) connections.
It would still show signs of being connected to something. The conductors look like the day the insulation was bared back.

Yep. Listen to @javaguzzisti . Looks like the electrics are in sh it state anyway.

Please be prepared to be in a sitting position when sparks quotes you for a total re-wire.
Don't worry. I've got these on order:

And I've booked the wife into a week's special Calming and Meditation Retreat.

Latest Threads