Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Mainboard fail/Confidence advice

carborundum

Clanker
I failed Mainboard a couple of weeks ago. I just received my report that told me I was good all round, showed determination and was coherent. However, during the group activities my input was at times minimal and that the assessors could sense I lacked confidence (my own command task was well led and briefed but lacked momentum towards the end). I completely agree with that statement as during the four days I struggled to control my nerves. Oddly I didn't have this issue at all at briefing where I received a Cat 1 and it wasn't flagged in my report. Maybe I put too much pressure on myself I don't know.

Regardless, I have 8 months to rectify this and I feel taking myself out of my comfort zone in something that involves groups would benefit me (I play mainly single effort sports such as tennis, fencing etc I do play rugby if I get home from work in time during the week).

I was thinking of organising with some friends doing the three peaks challenge. Obviously that wouldn't be enough and any suggestions would be welcome.

Have you thought about volunteering with an organisation like the Prince's Trust? It can take you out of your comfort bubble a bit and widen your experiences and should assist with confidence building.

If you play sport have you considered coaching? Not only do you have to stand in front of people/kids and coach but in order to get a qualification you have to be assessed. Therefore dealing with anxiety that may arise from people observing you critically.

Take up amateur dramatics?

biffins-bridge - That sounds like a great idea, I'll ring on Monday to enquire whether I can fit it around my job. (I can't afford to leave the job I have and go part time somewhere else)

watchandshoot1 - I do teach kids tennis and sailing but I don't have any formal qualification for it other than just helping out. An idea would be to get a sailing instructors course. Thanks