Main Exercises

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Ritch, Jul 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi. I'm looking to do selection and basic in about a year after I build my training up.

I admit, my upper-body strength isn't the best and I was just wondering, what are the main exercises you do on basic?

I mean, apart from pull-ups and excessive push-ups I'm ok.

2. What do you mean by excessive?

You should be able to do at least 50 press ups before you start recruit training.

As to pull-ups, how bad are you? Work on them till you can do at least 10.
    If you can't do that, or if you're one of those biffs who can't even do one, you may find yourself getting extra attention from your PTIs.

3. About 50. Ok. I can do between 5-7 pull-ups but seeing as though I've got over a year to improve, I guess I'll be ok.

Thanks anyway :D

4. That's the attitude ;) I'm doing weights. During basic you do assault courses, so the most you'll have to lift is yourself. Also, i'm sure you'll be doing loads of press ups :D

5. I wouldnt bother with weights, if you bulk up it means you have to haul that extra muscle round the PFT route, it will slow you down. Stick to body weight exercises at high reps, chins (There are several different types, vary them), push ups (lots and lots of different types!), dips, ab exercises, dorsal raises, squats etc etc

6. Lol I'm only doing speed reps for a bit to bulk up. Being 6ft. 5 means beanpole. Soon i'll do press ups etc. and pull ups on a swing

7. You say there are different types of chins, can you give me examples and how many different types of push-ups do the PTI's use?

8. Overgrip Chin ups and under grip. First one finger tips facing away from you and over bar, under grips are the "normal" ones, marines do overgrip

9. You will do many different types of press ups during pt but you will only be tested on the conventionl shoulder width apart type. Try doing close hand, seal press, hindu and wide arm for a bit of variation.
    As for the chins, some may argue but over hand grip type are harder and i believe build up your strength better and therefore make the under hand grip types easier in time.

10. Hindu press ups? Do you pray as you go :p

Just generally practice with different techniques. I know you do wide arm press ups and shoulder width apart press ups. Just get used to your nose touching the ground :oops:

11. Lol. Thanks guys.

12. Glad to see you made it over here. Just do a search on youtube theres a few videos on there showing push variations.

13. Hey Hypno. Yeah, I've just had a quick look. Some-one PM'd me with that.

14. Hmm, I await to see the "Hindu".. sounds.. exciting :roll:

15. Dont forget you will be wearing a helmet, carrying webbing and rifle. Makes a big difference.