Main Building And Wearing Of Uniforms

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by SigDev_Duck, Nov 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whilst I am pleased to see that, since the introduction of the wearing of uniform onWednesday by the RAF, many others from the other two services have chosen to also wear theirs on Wednesday, I am stunned by the appallingly poor standard of dress shown by some.

Since when did it become acceptable to wander around the building with service dress jackets unbuttoned, or (in public places) to stand around with hands in pockets? (Don't they issue gloves any more?)

And some people really, really, really need to introduce Mr Shoes to Mr Polish, ASAP.

If you are going to wear the uniform, then wear it properly!

(Two tickets for the bus, please...)

2. Indeed it is shocking to see some of the "uniform" on display, and the people who think they can cover up their SD by putting on fleece. Mind you some of the crabs I saw the other week were in gash order too..

3. Write a letter to the Dail Mail?

4. Given that the Department likes photo competitions so much, how about one to find the gashest uniform wearer in Whitehall?

5. [​IMG]

6. Agreed - small point though; the Army has been wearing uniform in the MOD for the best part of 2 years. The RAF and RN have only recently, reluctantly it seems, begun to wear uniform.

This issue was raised in soldier magazine in the letters pages. Examples of mixed dress, lack of headdress, hands in pockets etc need to be jumped on - and an example needs to be set.
    :D

7. I haven't clapped eyes on QRs for a good few years but
    my memory is that it stated a number of requirements for a salute.

Among the list besides Officers, Coffins, Quarterdecks of HM Ships and so on, I seem to recall that there was a requirement to salute the Cenotaph
    in Whitehall,-I may be wrong on that but that's my recollection.

Can anyone tell me whether, in whatever form QRs exist now, whether this requirement still holds?

If it does, it would be interesting to see how many working in the Main Building in uniform comply when going to and from or indeed whether many of them are aware of it.

8. The requirement to salute the Cenotaph is hidden deep in an obscure AGAI but it is still extant. All the Army in MB are aware of the requirement not least because a senior officer was caught out by the GSM a year or so ago.

9. Not on my floor in Main Building... :D Until recently, there hadn't been a uniform seen here since Remembrance Day last year...

Interestingly enough, it seems to be the ORs who wear uniform more often than the Officers, although I accept that there may be good reasons, e.g. officers are more likely to be attending meetings elsewhere, so will dress in civvies for the day.

I did have to laugh, though, when one chap told me that changing into uniform at work was too much of a faff, just before he went to change out of the jeans and t-shirt he had worn travelling in and into a suit...

10. Nice one, except...

He's not in Whitehall - at a guess, it's in a football stadium somewhere in Canada...