Main board- second swing and a miss

Well that's it then. Had my letter from westbury come in a few hours ago.
Not sure what I did wrong this time as I thought I was a strong candidate, but alas it seems the qualities I possess are deemed not suitable or to a poor quality as required by the army for it's officer.
Still, better to be glum now then cost someone their life later on down the road.

Good luck to those going down the officer route.

Ian1983 said:
but alas it seems the qualities I possess are deemed not suitable or to a poor quality as required by the army for it's officer.

Still, better to be glum now then cost someone their life later on down the road.
Basic literacy?

skintboymike said:
msr said:
Ian1983 said:
but alas it seems the qualities I possess are deemed not suitable or to a poor quality as required by the army for it's officer.
Basic literacy?
You missed a bit. :)
Kick a guy while he's down hey chaps?! To the OP, bad luck. It must be a right kick in the teeth. But as you recognise it wasn't meant to be, at least you gave it a shot, more than can be said for alot of the population.

i_love_ftorres said:
skintboymike said:
msr said:
Ian1983 said:
Basic literacy?
You missed a bit. :)
Kick a guy while he's down hey chaps?! To the OP, bad luck. It must be a right kick in the teeth. But as you recognise it wasn't meant to be, at least you gave it a shot, more than can be said for alot of the population.
You did that deliberately, didn't you?

Ian,

Have you thought about joining as a soldier? Although it's not your first choice, if you feel the Army is your vocation then you won't regret enlisting.

Oyibo and detonator

Getting the letter 4 hours ago I haven't thought about it yet.

I'm 27 at present so will contact my original sponsors and see what they suggest. After my initial fail they suggested that if I didn't want to retake the main board they had other options (being the engineers).

Fair enough. I'd just say that if you want to join the Army because you feel it is a vocation (rather than a job that will give you a trade), go for the branch that will satisfy your aspirations. There are plenty of threads here debating whether to join the infantry or a corps, but I can honestly say that joining the infantry was right for me because it is what I wanted to do. And I've got a far better job now than being a vehicle mechanic or electrician! (No offence intended to REME types.)

The opportunity to have a vocation instead of a occupation is what drew me to the army in the first place.

My interest in the engineers was because of the large variety of work, but I will consider what you have said. I'm only a ta private at present which is the only experience of the infantry I have.

Harsh luck Ian, very harsh; I've got my second attempt next week and noticed that you and I were in the same boat...Sorry to hear it hasn't worked out for you. Chin up, and best wishes for the future - a different service perhaps?

Best of luck with your second attempt ACA - I didn't pass my first RCB but got a good one on the second. Nil Desperandum

Ian,

Glad to hear that you consider the Army a vocation. IMO it is; and those who consider it a 'job' are often those that are despised by many in the military. Having been a soldier and an officer I can put my hand on my heart and say that being a soldier - yes, in the infantry - is a damn sight more enjoyable than being an officer. It's a case of 'doing' (as a soldier) rather than 'managing' (as an officer). I'm sure we all enjoy a mixture of the two, but given the choice of the two I would probably go for the 'doing'.

You might also find that having joined the Army if you are intelligent, articulate, and the type who gets things done (I'm trying to avoid that awfull word 'proactive') that you will be recognised as NCO or Officer material and will naturally rise through the ranks. The rank is unimportant - the military is a task oriented organisation and your ability to 'get the job done' will count for far more than whether you wear your rank badges on your arm or your shoulder. I am sure that that the overwhelming majority of the Army would prefer a good NCO or WO than a poor officer.

If you consider the military to be a vocation, go for it. I doubt you'll be dissapointed.

Join as a Tom for a few years.

I assume you are pretty intelligent, and maybe have a degree. Beleive it or not, but there are a fair few lads in the ranks with BSc or MSc after their name, and Private or LCpl before it.

Signals would possibly suit (esp something like Engineer or Special Operator) fair bit of independence and a fairly swift promotion route. Or some of the REME Techs or even EOD.

You could even give it a few years at the sharp end with the Inf and Cav.

If you fancy joining the Army give it a whirl. Besides, you'll soon realise that being an officer isn't the be all and end all. But that becoming a Sgt in the Mess is THE thing to be. Even General Dannett wished he had made it in to the ony Mess that counts before leaving (probably).

Give it a whirl mate. Few years down the line, you could try again from the ranks, or (with the neccesary rank) try for LE. AGC take Sgts, RSignals take SSgts (but it's unheard for anyone below WO1 in the Signals to be honest).

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt
"The Man In The Arena"
Speech at the Sorbonne
Paris, France
April 23, 1910

Latest Threads