Main Board-Risk pass.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by stormingnorman, Apr 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all, i've just learned today i was awarded a risk pass at main board. What does this mean? Am i under even more pressure to perform when i get to RMAS? Will i get binned at the first screw up? To be honest i'm of the opinion of a pass is a pass, you either make the standard or you don't. But what is the thinking behind this category?

Thanks for taking the time to read and any sensible answers, advice etc.

2. A risk pass is a pass with a small caveat. You should be able to get a read out of your full report from your sponsor in order that you can know what you should brush up before you arrive at RMAS.

When you start the CC your platoon commander will not have seen your AOSB report, it is held by your company commander. He may use the guidance in the report to work out when he should see you perform (if you are a physical risk he may pay attention to you on a long tab, if an academic risk, when you are at Faraway Hall). The fact that you are a risk pass will not be evident to you, your peers or the majority of the staff. It will come into play if and when you are being reviewed towards the end of the first term and later on, in that if the area that was identified at AOSB rears itself significantly after a long period at RMAS.

In sum, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Work out the areas whcih need improvement and do your level best.

3. IMO issuing a 'risk pass' (whatever that means) achieves nothing other than to demoralise the subject. Whether you pass with flying colours or by the skin of your teeth, it amounts to the same thing and should be presented as such.

We can't get out of our own way sometimes.

4. Dragstrip i've got to agree with you, since i've found out it feels as if i'm making up the numbers. They say you have to meet a common standard which evidently i did, yet i feel like i'm already walking a fine line!

Just going to have to brush up on my weak areas and give it even more effort and determination than before. Thanks for the quick responses.

5. Actually my advice would be to take it with a pinch of salt. You've passed, don't dwell on it, move on. If you were truly lacking in any significant area, you would have failed. You've passed, we want you, you're good enough, end of story. Tsk, 'risk pass'; what a load of tosh.

6. Hello stormingnorman

Congratulations on passing. That's what you've done, you've passed.

1. It's very easy to be utterly demoralised by receiving a "Risk Pass ". The end result can be that you become the rabbit in the torch light and live through Juniors in a muck sweat, expecting instant banishment at every second. It can become self-fulfilling if you're not careful, so don't permit it to be. Read your report, take your time to absorb it, and act accordingly.

2. Fact. The last stats I saw from Westbury showed perhaps 36 / 38% of Regular entrants were "Risk" passes. You will not be alone and you are not in any sense "making up the numbers."

Enjoy.

Old Rat

7. I got a risk pass as well. It doesn't seem to be affecting anything with my prospective regiments, and having looked at the statistics (avaliable online) it seems as though almost 40% of passes are now risk passes as old rat says. Don't sweat it, a lot of us are in the same boat.

8. Cheers for the advice and words of encouragement. Ratty or JJ where did you find these stats? Would be curious to have a look myself. Another quick question, when i ask for my report from MB will it be given in letter form or a verbal debrief from my sponsor/aca?

9. How do you know you were a "risk pass" or a straightforward pass? Does your sponsor tell you?

My sponsor didn't mention it, but my letter from AOSB hinted at it.

10. I was told by another regiment. My sponsor didn't mention it until I asked him about it spcifically.

11. It is sympomatic of a wider malaise in that people fail to have confidence in their own judgement and are therefore equivocal in the decisions they make.

12. Indeed, it is rare to encounter anyone with balls regarding decisive issues that matter these days.

13. Gordon Brown?

14. Well obviously he's an exception.

15. He wrote a book about courage so he is clearly courageous...