Main board questions

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by jtom88, Jan 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 1st post so be kind :)

Seen the posts going on about the current affairs stuff at officers board but they all have different answers. So my question to you all is:

Do I just do a little bit and not hget to stressed like some on here say?

Do I just watch a bit of TV?

Do I read a good paper every day?

Do i read good paper and watch TV and read the economist type mags?

What are the recent questions being asked, anyone who has been recently?

John T

2. Do you use the "search" function and find answers to all those questions in a super-thread specifically designed for Main Board questions?
  3. There was a big thread I saw with loads of pages but it is locked so i can't ask my question on it and people seem to say loads of different things so i was just hoping to get answrers from guys wh have done it recently.

John T
  4. ............
  5. Thanks, did you do your main baord recently? How did it go?

John T
  6. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Out of interest, how old are you?

People do not say 'loads of different things' about the Current Affairs component of AOSB, they say one thing: you need to be able to answer a series of current affairs questions in a test and contribute sensibly to group discussions based on current affairs topics. This means that you will have to gain some knowledge of current affairs. You do this by watching TV news, listening to radio news and reading newspapers and news magazines. Opinions vary about how much of this you need to do, but if you give it some thought, you will realise that too much is probably better than too little. The answer to your questions is therefore straightforward.

Having said that, if you want to be a successful army officer, you will need to take an interest in the world around you for the rest of your career, not just to get through AOSB, so if it doesn't seem terribly appealing, you should think about looking elsewhere.
  7. I am 20 - but not at uni ha ha!

I got told by an officer I met that most people in an offices mess just read the sun and the mail and suchlike so just need to know what to focus on for offices board.

John T
  8. msr

msr LE

I couldn't spell office, now I is one...
  9. Oh yeah, sorry bout that...:)

But is it true about what papers are read in a mess though?
  10. Don't get ahead of yourself. Stick to the Times/Telegraph and perhaps temper that with the Guardian/BBC for some communist insights. You've got a long way to go before you're in a Mess.

Edited to add: Yes, I passed Main Board last year. I will be starting at the Chap Factory quite soon.
  11. Chap Factory???@.@ Is that Sandhurts?

John T
  12. While I like the idea of it being called "Sandhurts", its called Sandhurst!!

Read this before you do anything else today:
    Sandhurst - ARRSEpedia.

Followed by buying yourself a copy of the Junior Officers Reading Club: Killing Time and Fighting Wars.
  13. No - but it's true. Especially if you get it in your eyes.

Yes - you'll see all sorts of inferior tabloids in the mess these days. Standards just aren't the same since they stopped flogging (as a punishment ...) But, if you get down to breakfast 20secs too late, you'll find it is the Telegraphs that are all gone. And the Grun, if you got some sort of Marxist (or ETS bod - apparently it's allowed for them) in the Regt.

The "Sun", as I understand, is officially there for the soccer coverage, especially as the Diversity Officer won't let you look at the picture :)
  14. You don't say!
  15. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

To a degree. I always read the super soaraway Sun if it's around because it is well-written (I'm not joking) and tightly edited, and because it has top birds with their chebs out. But I also read a range of serious news sources every day too: I suspect the same is true of a lot of army officers.