• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Main Board - Black Tie Dinner

I have my Main Board in a couple of weeks time and I was wondering if it is acceptable to wear a kilt for this or if it has to be a lounge suit as per the JI's?

Thanks

I would certainly consider the possibility that you wearing a kilt might come across as an attempt at attention-seeking. It's a ridiculous tradition.
Kilts are for sport, or bagpipers, or ceremonial dress. They are not an alternative for smart dress.

I have my Main Board in a couple of weeks time and I was wondering if it is acceptable to wear a kilt for this or if it has to be a lounge suit as per the JI's?

Thanks
Are you male or female?

Assuming the former (and taking the precaution of popping up a wah shield for good measure), you need to read things more carefully young man. You start the thread by asking about a 'Black Tie Dinner' - as is so often the case, the clue is in the title.

If you have the 'lounge suit' (see another thread) equivalent of the Scottish rig, wear it - DO NOT turn up in a kilt with a dickie bow if everyone else is in a suit. I believe it to be a tweed jacket with horn buttons and a 'day' sporran but am prepared to be corrected. Otherwise you will look like all those other fools who, having been to Moss Brothers' hire department, turn up to weddings south of the Border sporting evening attire for an obviously 'day' occasion.

One last thing - no apostrophe in JIs. Plural not possessive.

the fact it says lounge suit and not DJ is a hint to how posh it aint!!
turning up in a kilt would make you look like an attention seeker

so prob not the best way to get noticed..

If the JIs say wear a lounge suit...wear a lounge suit. Wearing anything else may just get you noticed for the wrong reasons. However proud you may be of your heritage, it's worth just doing as you're told on this occasion. Enjoy.

Cross dressing is acceptable in the Army nowadays. If you think about it, wearing a skirt/kilt may actually go in your favour if they have certain quotas to fill.

Latest Threads