main-battle tank derived APC

We are building one haven't you heard?

It's the FRES and it'll weigh 2 tonnes, will fly and zap things with it's laser. Should be in service next year.

Cowhead said:
We are building one haven't you heard?

It's the FRES and it'll weigh 2 tonnes, will fly and zap things with it's laser. Should be in service next year.
I heard we'll be getting as many as we need, not as many as the beancounters let us have...

I thought the Warrior was being used for this; ie the ones which won't be upgraded with the 40mm cannon? I think the expression used was "Battlegroup support vehicle". Don't tell me they will just be used for moving stores around? Oh and btw, surely it would have been better to build a super APC from Challenger 1 instead of gifting them to Jordan.

Pity the British Government never got round to selling the Israelis the Chieftain, take the multi-fuel engine out the equation and it was one of the World's best tanks, the Israelis would have probably done an APC conversion on it, and Vickers could have converted the phased out British Chieftains in to APCs for HM Armed forces using the Israeli design, such are the stuff of dreams alas!

Saludos Amigos
Zapata

They only had access to Two prototypes of the Chieftain tank that were delivered to Israel. Israel invested heavily in the improvement and final development of the Chieftain in close cooperation with British officers and engineers, who worked with them in Israel. But international pressure (oil) or the lack of prevented them from completing the cantracts .

They did however create the Nagmachon and then the Nakpadon AAPC's from their old centurion tnks.

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/vehicles/engineer_vehicles/nakpadon/Nakpadon.html

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
But of course you can only make an APC from a tank that has the engine in the front (Merkava) unless you want to be debussing over the turret ring.

napier said:
But of course you can only make an APC from a tank that has the engine in the front (Merkava) unless you want to be debussing over the turret ring.
Why Can't you shift the power-pack to the front of the vehicle?

Saludos Amigos
Zapata

The Jordanians have got round the placement of the powerpack by reversing the direction of travel, so to speak, of the Temsah, (Centurion).

There's nothing new about this. All it is basically, is an upgraded APC much like our Warrior. It owes its pedigree to the Merkava however because the protoype versions had a four man infantry compartment at the rear.

As to Chieftain and the reasons why the Israelis didn't buy into it?

Never mind the propaganda, the Israeli Army had a troop of Chieftains on trial before the six day war. They were pressed into service for that campaign and were found to be overgunned for Israeli purposes. The 120mm APDS round did too much damage to enemy vehicles and reduced the numbers which could be salvaged and used by the Israelis themselves.

I don't want anyone coming back to me with Wilipedia crap about MOD excluding Israel from the Chieftain program. I've just given you the truth.

Well done that man! They have upgraded that site since I last visited. With a bit of fiddling I managed to save hi-res pics of chally with Eagle turret that I've been after for ages. Thanks. Edit, FALCON turret, doh!

Zapata_rides! said:
Pity the British Government never got round to selling the Israelis the Chieftain, take the multi-fuel engine out the equation and it was one of the World's best tanks, the Israelis would have probably done an APC conversion on it, and Vickers could have converted the phased out British Chieftains in to APCs for HM Armed forces using the Israeli design, such are the stuff of dreams alas!

Saludos Amigos
Zapata
I just spotted this. In my honest opinion there was nothing wrong with the multifuel engine concept, nor was there any fundamental problem with the L60 pack. The issue was that a 650BHP engine just wasn't enough to power a Chieftain reliably. When the same pack was upgraded to 850BHP there were no more problems.

The only reason the issue was allowed to drag on so long was the fact that the very idea that heavies would be needed for any considerable period of time was inconceivable - and correct.