mailcall.co.uk - Website to get stuff

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by jw16248, Sep 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, I was wondering if some of you could have a look at a website set up by 4 friends. We're all ex joe squads and set mailcall.co.uk with the aim of providing some decent stuff to troops stationed abroad with 10% of profits going to SSAFA and Help For Heroes.

Cheers, Much appreciated.

2. like it, nice idea

3. Suggest you e-mail the site owners and talk to them - advertising on the boards without permission is a wee bit cheeky.

4. I say let them run with it. Cool site, like the 80's revival stickies! Good use of morse in the title un'all.
    dah dit, di dit, dah di dah dit, dit, dah, dah dah dah, di di dah, dah di dah dit, di di di dit!

5. Could they not include those little bags that when pressed inflate until they explode, you know, for when you wish to be a right bastard to the bloke stagging on. :)

6. I like the site, it's a quality idea. My sisters soon to embark upon the great fun that is Sandhurst, so this'll be great to boost her morale whilst she's suffers the horror.

Bit of a shame that I can't buy some of the individual items without buying a box as well.

Awesome though.

7. What a really good idea - keep up the good work :)

8. nice, added to favourites.

9. Thanks for the feedback. You can now select individual items from the additional items menus. All you need to do is select box I, Its called 'pick your own' then fill at will. :D

10. Awesome, that's perfect now. Means if you just want to send a couple of mags or something you don't have to buy a shedload of food and stuff.

Really impressed.

11. Am I right in thinking that 48 packets of crisps are around £22, that is a ripoff, you can get them at tescos for less than a quarter of the price and its only £4 for a thermal mug from dunelm, it is a good idea putting stuff together to send to Tom however your prices are horrendous and it is profiteering, if you where sending 48 packets of each flavour that could be seen as doing your bit and making a small amount for running charges and a bit of profit however the prices you charge are unbelievable.

An ipod touch only costs £189 at Dixons
    http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/product/apple-ipod-touch-16gb/569247
    and although they dont offer the facility to post to squaddies and they can buy in bulk which I am aware that new companies cant, you can buy from these many asian internet companies that post electrical goods at cheap prices and I am assuming thats what you do, that would mean you would be selling at around £190 like this guy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apple-iPod-Touch-16GB-2nd-Generation-New-16-GB-2nd-Gen_W0QQitemZ270445704601QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioTVElectronics_PortableAudio_MP3Players?hash=item3ef7d1f599&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

You would still make a good profit from this, however you are charging £215 and I dont know if that includes postage ??(apart from BFPO).

It is a good idea but your prices are not great, if you lower your prices to a realistic price the site will do exceptionally well, good luck and I hope to purchase in the future

12. purplestar is quite correct, the prices are a bit outragious. I took Menu D (NAAFI Break) as an example and got the prices from Tesco online and got the result below:

Product...............................Amount........Price Each......Total
    Chocolate Digestives.....................1................1.26...........1.26
    Jaffa Cake bars.............................2................0.27...........0.54
    Extra Ice.......................................3...............0.35............1.05
    Snickers........................................2...............0.41............0.82
    Twix..............................................2...............0.41............0.82
    M&M's Peanut.................................2...............0.46............0.92
    Kit Kat Chunky...............................2...............0.44............0.88
    Cadbury Chocolate Sachets (twin)........1................0.45............0.45
    Wagon Wheels...............................2................0.23............0.46
    Pot Noodle Curry............................1................1.10............1.10
    Yorkshire Tea.................................1................5.76............5.76

Tesco Price: £14.06

Mail call price: £23.49

Difference: £9.43

Obviously here I have not taken into consideration the box the items come in, which from Menu I appears to be 2.49, so the total difference will be 6.49.
    It occurs to me that Mail Call probably go down to the supermarket when they get an order and buy the products required for each menu off the shelf, rather then actually buy wholesale, which would mean that the 6.49 as a profit would make sense to them. Even so it is quite a lot to pay for some sweets, when your mum or bird could go to Tescos and purchase the same thing and post it for almost 10 quid cheaper.
    Mail Call I think you need to look at buying your products wholesale if you arn't doing so already. If you are buying wholesale, then this is a total con and ripping squaddies off (or the people sending them the stuff) through your site is not a good idea.

edited due to mong format

13. 26 bags of walkers £2.99 at JTF, anyone wanting me to post them to anyone let me know and I will do a better deal than £22 for 48 bags

14. I don't know, it cost me £2.50 for a bacon sandwich at the weekend and a further 50p for a pack walkers S&V so the prices here don't look bad at all considering its either a present or for us to buy for ourselves when on tour?

Can easily spend £75 on pop in a night so 20 odd quid when i cant have a beer isnt too bad!

My only complaint is its Yorkshire tea and not PG Tips!!!

Oh i bought an Ipod touch the other week from Currys at the same price as they have on this site and now it looks like Currys (same group as Dixons) are doing a £25 off thing!! The power of the big buyers!!!

Good work just sort out the tea situation! :)