Mail on Sunday - 21 Dec 08 - a good photograph

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Litotes, Dec 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Mail On Sunday has a short article on the QDG in Afghanistan with a pretty good photograph, although the net version doesn't do justice to the double spread in the paper:

Good piccie!

2. looks like a decent piece of kit... must be awesome to kick the sh!t out of a 5.9L engine!

anyone with experience?
  3. Well apart from the usual inaccuracies...

It's a purpose built vehicle on a bespoke chassis not "based on a truck", the fuel & water jerrycans are on the other side, GMG is technically a low-velocity weapon, the yellow GPs is there because the commander doesn't trust Bowman and the "Bowman tactical radio system" is the CanView that gives the driver all the info about the vehicle like speed,RPM,coolant temp etc.

It is a kick-ass piece of kit though...

It's no more prone to rolling than any cross-country vehicle driven by a t**t. The big difference is the ride quality is soooo good that it lulls you into a false sense of security. Whereas in a landrover or any other vehicle after prolonged XC driving it's toss-up whether to go to the dentist or the osteopath first; Jackal's ride is more like a tracked vehicle allowing much higher speeds to be achieved. With higher speed comes the inevetible disaster when the driver runs out of skill...
  4. like how they list every think or close to they even got the driver pin up on there lol
  5. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Great piece of kit....

But wait for the inquest verdict on the Marines and HCR guys that died in October, and I bet that we will hear the usual tirade about unarmoured vehicles from the coroner, whilst ambulance chasing lawyers wind up the bereaved families... :evil:
  6. 'a range of 500 miles...'

not with our boys driving, 350 tops cuz 3rd gear is the only gear to travel in!!
  7. Amazingly, the 'journo' took the trouble to get the title of the regiment involved correct!

1st The Queen's Dragoon Guards is not the easiest title to get correct, so well done The Sunday Mail. (Ooops! sorry The Mail on Sunday).
  8. Why is it built with no shelter for the driver and crew? Surely weight can't be an issue with such a powerful engine. Even unarmoured bodywork would give some protection from the elements.

I bet it hasn't got air conditioning or iPod charging points either!
  9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

It's not a boat you know!
  10. I didn't think it was worth pointing out the errors I spotted.

You picked up one more than me, so smack on, Major B!

11. It has a commercial 24V DC appliance socket, 12V DC cigarette lighter socket (and lighter) plus 12V +ve & -ve screw terminals in the front and rear. Threre's also a BV in the back. You can spec a 240V AC inverter but we chose not to...

It's open topped because that's what the Army asked for. Open top allows you to chat to the locals and not be intimidating. There is a crew heater that has pipes for you to shove up your jumper while it blasts warm air into your under-garments.
  12. They tried a similar thing in the navy to keep mine clearance divers warm but it all went horribly wrong.

13. A2_Matelot

A2_Matelot LE Book Reviewer

My word, that looks like Waggs bending down in the middle of the piccy, with a haircut at long last. Hope he and his boys are well!
  14. No 7 is wrong. It's an antenna.