Mail forwarding services to buy stuff in the US with a US address and ship to the UK.

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by BuggerAll, Oct 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. BuggerAll

    BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

    I've only just found out that these services exist. You get a US address which allows you to buy stuff in the US which they then forward to you in the UK.

    Anyone any experience of using them. The one that is offering it's self to me is Bongo US but a quick bit of research (google) shows there are many more out there.

    Problems I can foresee are that my payment methods won't accept the new address - although I suppose i can add them to the account somehow and that the cost of forwarding will be prohibitive and I'll get hammered by US taxes and import duty.
  2. Absolutely pointless, you may as well have it sent directly from the place you are buying it from HMCR will tax anything even if it is marked as and is a gift.
  3. BuggerAll

    BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

    From my reading of HMRC's website you should not be paying tax on anything under £135 and or where the revenue raised is less that £9.00

    Indeed I think it is over 10 years since I've been stung to pay tax on stuff ordered from abroad.

    That aside the point of the US address thing is that many companies in the US are reluctant to post stuff overseas or charge exorbitant rates to do so. The forwarding companies allow you to buy stuff and have it sent on.

    Probably an even cheaper idea would be to make an arrangement with a relative or friend in the US but mine live in California which attracts a sales tax.
  4. Hmm this is quite intresting- I'm after buying a Lytro camera, but I know they don't ship to the uk and seeing one on ebay is rarer that seeing the queen in PCS!