Mail: "Ex-Servicemen Win Payouts Of More Than £10million Over Afghanistan Injuries"

soleil

War Hero
"Three former servicemen have today been awarded more than £10 million in compensation each after 'inadequate' Ministry Of Defence vehicles failed to protect them from improvised explosives.

The veterans all suffered serious injuries when roadside improvised explosive devices (IEDs) hit their 'inadequately armoured' vehicles in Afghanistan between 2008 and 2009.

Hilary Meredith Solicitors announced that it had secured the settlements for the veterans, with each of the three claimants receiving a 'seven-figure' sum.

They had been travelling in Pinzgauer troop carriers, nicknamed 'coffins on wheels' by UK troops because they provided inadequate blast protection from roadside explosives."

"Three former servicemen have today been awarded more than £10 million in compensation each after 'inadequate' Ministry Of Defence vehicles failed to protect them from improvised explosives.

The veterans all suffered serious injuries when roadside improvised explosive devices (IEDs) hit their 'inadequately armoured' vehicles in Afghanistan between 2008 and 2009.

Hilary Meredith Solicitors announced that it had secured the settlements for the veterans, with each of the three claimants receiving a 'seven-figure' sum.

They had been travelling in Pinzgauer troop carriers, nicknamed 'coffins on wheels' by UK troops because they provided inadequate blast protection from roadside explosives."

They were pretty shite. The one I spent some time in had "armour" (I think just steel plates) bungeed on to the sides, and wobbled as we went along.

Good, I'm glad.

Maybe it will teach someone that it is cheaper to buy the right kit when needed rather than pay out for being to stupid, too slow, or just not bothered to buy the right kit because they are a shiny arrse civil servant and will never be at the sharp end.

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
Echo above.

Just_plain_you

War Hero
Good, I'm glad.

Maybe it will teach someone that it is cheaper to buy the right kit when needed rather than pay out for being to stupid, too slow, or just not bothered to buy the right kit because they are a shiny arrse civil servant and will never be at the sharp end.
Not a chance. This won't be coming from their pockets.

I’m surprised the MoD didn’t claim combat immunity.

I’m surprised the MoD didn’t claim combat immunity.

Kind of got blown out of the water with Smith and others vs MoD before the Supreme Court

When you have a war of choice with a prolonged planning period you can't claim sudden exigent circumstances or national emergency for not supplying measures and equipment ahead of time that have been known and utilised since the 1950's..

Not a chance. This won't be coming from their pockets.
I rather fear that the armed forces are not very many incidents away from a court withdrawing crown immunity and expecting individual officers and NCO's to be personally criminally liable for Health and Safety violations in the planning and execution of training exercises and operations...

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Good, I'm glad.

Shiny arrse Civil Servants don't decide to deploy unarmoured vehicles to a combat environment with a high risk of IEDs. Military Commanders do that.

Shiny arrse Civil Servants don't decide to deploy unarmoured vehicles to a combat environment with a high risk of IEDs. Military Commanders do that.
With all respect; I said "buy" not "deploy". It was my experience that when I needed equipment I had to deal with civil servants and not military personnel. It was ludicrous that I could commercially procure consumables to a value exceeding hundreds of thousands of pounds a year, but I needed to seek permission and had to argue the toss with civil servants over buying a single piece of kit costing less than 5K.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Auld-Yin Mobile Phones 53
MoD_RSS MoD News 0
G Classified Ads 33

Latest Threads