MAGPUL magazine attachments.

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by BuggerAll, Nov 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I'm taking part in a Bde SAAM next year and wondering if there is any unfair advantage to be had in the MAGPUL end of magazine attachments.

They seem to be cheap enough and I've seen a lot of guys using them but are they just a fad that will make me look Walty with no real gain?

Discuss (if you want to)
  2. For info:

You can get these issued now....
  3. BuggerAll

What you mean is that these are an issue item - which does not necessarily mean that they will be issued to me altrhough I suppose I could ask.

They are not expensive - 6 for tenner so I've no objection to buying them if they might help.
  4. Asking costs nothing :)
  5. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

What advantage would they give you? Do they make you a better shot?
  6. BuggerAll

I don't know - that's what I'm asking on this thread.

Wouldn't have thought so - I was best overall rifle shot in the last Bde SAAM I took part in but times move on and if there is an advantage to be had I don't mind having it.
  7. Personal preference as always with this type of kit. Relatively handy if you're wearing gloves i.e. nomex, assault-type mitts. No real assistance offered if you're barehanded. Just as easy to grasp mags without Magpuls attachments without gloves.

Do they make you a better shot? 'You' makes you a better shot, not a piece of lifeless plastic attached to the top of your mag.

It's a means of executing quick mag changes, that's all.
  8. And they only make quick at changing mags if you practice, also if you have them on your mags don't fit in issue pouches. if you want a cheap way to make your mags more "grippy" then cut up an old bike inner tube and put it round the mag.
  9. BuggerAll

Thats interesting. I prefer to wear gloves when shooting and the competition is in March when it's not always warm and balmy and the training is through the winter. One of the criticisms of shooting in gloves is the potential difficulty in handling drills - not that I've ever had a problem.

Which could give you the edge over some one who can't change their mags quite so slickly. Helpful in a competition, vital on a 2 way range.

I have wrapped rubber bands around the bottom of mags before. Partly for grip and partly to identify that mag with 20 rnds instead of 30 or whatever. It can go wrong if the rubber band snaps which is why I stopped doing it.

I agree with you about practise which is why I'm raising the issue a good few months before the competition.

Incidentally last time I had anything to do with the SASC they were advocating shooting with the magazine rested position in the prone and trench which I found works quite well on some shoots. I presume it would not be possible with these things attached.
  10. It is possible to shoot from the prone but not quite as stable as nothing. but as ill say again your mag pouch wont close with theses on.
  11. Magazine rested is now the first position we teach, it's also part of the 'key point checks' and the first few shoots are in that position.
  12. BuggerAll

From a competition perspective I doubt if that would be a problem as I don't think there are any shoots that involve 8 mags. I use a vest and although I usually use PLCE pouches with MOLLE attachments I have some single and double mag pouches that I was thinking about mounting for competition purposes.

Of course none of these things can make your shooting better but they might give you the edge which might be the difference between doing well in a competition or just turning up.

I also use a sniper smock. I was given it in 1980 when I was in a Regt Shooting Team. It grips some peoples sh!t, not that I care. Unfortunately it is very much Mr Mitty - as I was never a sniper but the padded elbows make the whole shooting thing more comfortable which makes shooting easier. I may just wear a UBAC shirt instead - padded elbows.

Interesting. Whenever I mention it on the ranges it draws looks of horror from the Brecon SAA qualified types.
  13. I can second that one hundred percent. Unless you have open top mag pouches on your rig, or Jay jay's style velcro mag pouches you will struggle with the mag changes and in doing so waste unnecessary time. Obviously when you are competing at SAAM's mag change time can ultimately mean dropping point on various range serials.
  14. I should be able to get away with a partial quote Pam 5 (2009) Lesson 5 para 01236..."b. Place the magazine on level ground, avoiding loose stones beneath the magazine. (1) Stability is achieved by firm contact with the ground and correct support of the weapon through each hand and the shoulder.

It used to be frowned upon but the new Pam 5 (2009) brought this in as the initial position taught. You could always tactfully mention to your "Brecon SAA qualified types" that they should really stay current.....then stand well back

An excerpt, just to emphasise the point from AOSP 2010 Amdt 1 LF3 "Prone Magazine Rested — 65 mm" and LF 4 "Practice 7 Prone Magazine Rested – 200 mm"