• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Magistrate protest as ‘bouncers’ get power to give out fines

BarkingSpider said:
Scariest thing I've seen in a long time. And access to the PNC too in some cases.
Magistrates protest

Thanks to Longinthegums for the linky.
A private company (ie one run for PROFIT) now has the mandate to hand out fines?

Sorry, but I'll tell them fcuk off, and take me to court.

Sorry, what was that, did someone mention wheelclamping?

Only the Police should be allowed to hand out on the spot fines. And even then there should be an opt out (for a court hearing), if you feel you have been "misfined".

What is this trying to solve?

I don't quite get it.

I think the Conservatives are light weights but I think Labour is the more dangerous of the two. I cannot believe this. They must be toppled!

Completely unacceptable. If one of these monkeys tries it with me I can assure you he'll be told to ram it. On the spot fines are unlawful in any case, even when issued by the police.

Constitutional law states so. Bill of Rights.

If the security guards and bouncers near me are already arrseholes. The last thing they need is more power. Another stupid labour money saving scheme. They seem to have gotten very used to cutting corners labour albut this one takes the biscuit.

Too right, go 'not guilty' and let them take you to Court and watch the dumb fcuks get tied up by your brief (hopefully you have a semi-decent brief).

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
The police police by the consent of the public. All the other cnuts don't. Simples.

Where's a decent civil liberties organisation when you need one . . . .

chocolate_frog said:
BarkingSpider said:
Scariest thing I've seen in a long time. And access to the PNC too in some cases.
Magistrates protest

A private company (ie one run for PROFIT) now has the mandate to hand out fines?

Yes, it's happened to me far too much lately & I've lost the best part of £500! But how exactly do you refuse to pay? They have your motor! Refuse to pay & it goes to a pound & you have to pay even more to get it released. Apparently it's also a criminal offence to remove the clamp yourself.

There's not much one can do but pay up in that situation. :x

~D.C.

My main concern is that people who are not part of the Police will be able to access the PNC.

It looks as if they have set it up so that people with a criminal record will automatically be referred to the Police and be able to argue their case in court, whereas the average law abiding person will be fined on the spot. Nice one. :roll:
Is this another example of the law of unintended consequences raising its ugly head yet again?
This government seem to do that all too frequently. It's more of the politicising of law and order which has been creeping up on us over the years.

Dashing_Chap said:
chocolate_frog said:
BarkingSpider said:
Magistrates protest

Yes, it's happened to me far too much lately & I've lost the best part of £500! But how exactly do you refuse to pay? They have your motor! Refuse to pay & it goes to a pound & you have to pay even more to get it released. Apparently it's also a criminal offence to remove the clamp yourself.

There's not much one can do but pay up in that situation. :x

~D.C.
It's not a criminal offence to remove the clamp. It's criminal damage if you break it. I'm not sure how you go on if the Police have fitted it though, and you might still have to pay a parking fine, but not an extortionate clamp release fee.
Let down your tyre, drive the car out of the clamp (carefully) and fit your spare. Not all clamps allow this of course, but a lot do. Leave the clamp behind ...or chuck it in the canal :twisted:

Biped said:
Where's a decent civil liberties organisation when you need one . . . .
Getting panned on ARRSE for being, "hand-wringing, wishy-washy, liberal, Marxist, PC...", etc.

It constantly amazes me how - in the face of all the recent evidence - people can still believe that the measures Civil Liberties and Human Rights groups oppose will only be used on the bad people.

Latest Threads