magic gun?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by maguire, Mar 19, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

it's in the Mail, so it could be b****x, and I hope it hasnt bindun (cant see it at time of posting - The ultimate rifle: British supergun that 'hears bullets' to be rolled out to troops | Mail Online

'A supergun that targets enemy snipers by the sound of their gunfire is being trialled by British soldiers, it emerged today.
    The 'gunfire locator' is fitted next to the scopes of rifles which uses sonar to calculate an enemy's position within 1.3 seconds.

Paratroopers even field-tested the device by offering themselves as targets to Taliban insurgents last weekend in order to draw out the fire.'
  2. So it tells you where one round has come from in 1.3 sec? All well and good unless you're fighting an enemy with two or more rifles :)
  3. I suppose its possible tech has been putup in birmingham to workout where the sound of a shot came from
  4. Apparantly word on the grape vine is the one in brum dosnt realy work as its very tempremental, struggaling to either recognise gunshots from background noise say a car for example and then dosnt do more than give a general location of that sensor or so ive been told
  5. really I hadn't heard that
  6. It is gen, has been tested etc etc aparently works quite well (from one of the test team- not me)
  7. if it works as it should,,,, what a great idea, sort of takes the effort out of target indications too, , , , WATCH MY TRACER here we go
  8. Never heard of it?