Maggies secret war

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by kilo42, Jan 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Margaret Thatcher's secret war on the CND revealed | Mail Online

I can remember having a couple of weekends totally fucked up by CND when I was on a V bomber station. Having to stand armed with a pick axe handle listening to the baying mob scream all sorts of shite at us. Anyone else old enough to remember those days, the Cuba thing was fucking hairy, I kid you not. Course that was before Maggies time.
  2. CND was of it's time I sposse, bit much to fuck over civil liberties just 'cos you don't agree with them. Still wasn't the first, or last. time.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Gentlemen on ARRSE might like to hear what I have recently found out. Merseyside CND are holding a Global Day of Action on Military Spending in April 15th outside the Armed Forces Offices in North John Street, Liverpool from 12 noon to 2pm and have told people to "dress as a wounded soldier or carry your own message on a placard"
    As usual, they look upon injured and dead servicemen and women as nothing other than to be ridiculed in their own display, much like some Muslim groups do.
    Any ARRSE members up to facing up to them?
  4. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

isnt that giving them the kind of reaction they'd want?
  5. Got drafted in a couple of times for extra guard duties at Aldermaston when the Greenham Common lot decided to play!!
  6. You really don't think Moscow were pulling CND's strings? Baroness Ashton questioned over CND and Soviet money - Telegraph

If you believe that the CND weren't backed by Moscow, then you might be interested in helping me shift the USD 27 million which is in the account of a person who died without any next of kin. PM me your email address and bank details.
  7. And bears don't shit in the woods. :)
  8. I pay to support the Government, doesn't mean I get to tell them what to do.

It would be in the interests of the SU, or at least they would think it was, to encourage and assist anti-nuclear groups in the West; that is however a long way from saying that the SU directed CND policy or exercised day-to-day control over its activities.
  9. I was on Salisbury Plain on Ex once when the US missile trucks were in the next wood over. Unfortunately the beardy wierdys got the wrong wood and invaded 1 Inf Bde HQ instead. Worst bit was that they spray painted the new two week 110 LRs before getting jumped on ( with 'reasonable force' though) and held until Modplod arrived.

Chunky Security pln got a bollocking for letting them get through the wire in the first place but they were most dismayed to find we weren't Yanks and they'd fucked up. One woman wouldn't stop screaming and wailing and calling us fascists until she realised we couldn't really give a fuck>
    • Like Like x 2
  10. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Rather than complaining and protesting about car bombs, which were a real and regular problem. A bunch of trendy lefties (not CND) decided to go off and protest what I think may have been an ROC post or bunker in NI.
    What they decided to do was chain themselves to the fence. Landy turns up, sitrep and whaddawedo?
    'Causing any damage'
    'All chained to each other and chained to the fence'
    'Any grief'
    'Bit of shouting'
    'Wrap up warm, relieved in a couple of hours'
    And that's what happened until somebody found a key and somewhat shamefaced and miserable a lot of hours later they all trooped off. Only violence that day it was alleged that 'a soldier, had pulled a knife and cut off a chaps ponytail'.
    Nonsense of course, who other than a complete and utter idiot would turn up at a protest in winter in NI: spend all day standing around in dungarees, sneakers shirt and jacket, chained to a fence'
    Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Cold War Paranoia, I have no doubt that as papers get released into the public domain there will more and more of these types of stories, and I am certain that it wont just be "maggies secret war" but will have been "every post war governments secret war"

But they have to be looked at in the context of the period, and of course any gov is in a cleft stick, if the carry our survielance/infiltration and something happens then they are crucified, if the do and dont find anything naughty they are dammed for being draconian.
  12. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Not paranoia at all. CND was a Communist-front organisation funded in part by the Soviets and its members were traitors, examples of Lenin's 'useful idiots'. Treasonous filth the lot of them.
    • Like Like x 4
  13. All done by 20 Int Coy (V)? How did they guarantee that CND only protested on Tuesday nights and one weekend a month?
  14. If you say so, however Stella Rimmington disagrees with you and so do the facts...............
  15. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Had one op visit to Greenham Common about 1987. It was all pretty institutionalised by then and principally a piece of theatre. The Bn then deployed near Blackball (?) Firs to secure a deployment area for the Yanks, using the Milan thermal sights and mobile patrols.

The protesters managed to halt the Pershing missile convoy by the Red House roundabout on the A303, got on to one of the TELs and cut the hydraulics on the wagon. They were arrested, but I don't remember the rest.