Maggei WAS Best PM of 20 C Lefties say so !

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jonwilly, Aug 29, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Must admit "The Iron Lady" had some balls, all bar the Fcuk around with the Now POLL TAX B0ll0x...

2. IMHO a PM is great if they are perceived as great. If their strength of character and unwavering leadership outweighs the mistakes that they will inevitably make then they leave a legacy of leadership. Churchill and Thatcher were such leaders. Blair is very a strong character but IMHO too untrustworthy.

Best PM of the 20th century? The man who delivered us during our darkest hour.

3. IMHO a PM is great if they are perceived as great. If their strength of character and unwavering leadership outweighs the mistakes that they will inevitably make then they leave a legacy of leadership. Churchill and Thatcher were such leaders. Blair is very a strong character but IMHO too untrustworthy.

Best PM of the 20th century? The man who delivered us during our darkest hour.

4. Neville Chamberlain?

5. Fundamentally, nothing wrong with the Poll Tax, my friend.

6. The cockabout with the poll tax was caused by local councils, they set the rate not centrall govt.

7. Garbage, people look at her reign with rose tinted specs on, and seem to remember it as some kind of golden age.
    Selling off public assets, pushing up the national debt, cutting public spending, high unemployment,, the poll tax, dismantling British industry, effectively halving the size of the armed forces blah blah blah.
    After enduring her and the tories for amost two decades, and ending with Blair and his cronies its put me of a mind that they're all sh!t.
    People tend to forget she was going to be out on her arrse after one term when the Falklands War happened, and she placed back into power on a wave of patriotic fervour.

Mind you, she had more balls than anyone left playing politics today, look at the Tories and Labour now, they sound like each other.,

8. Like many you forget what went before Maggie. The Labour party had pretty much destroyed the economy, British industry was dying on it's feet because the unions would not allow modernisation, one could go on, but it was a shambles.

Maggie made lots of mistakes but without her we would have sunk without trace. And defence cuts, HAraold and his chums and successors were even better than the Tories at that, and I can remeber trying to explain to my men why the government valued their services so much that they needed housing benefit to pay their married quarter rent.

Peter

PS I have only voted Tory once in the last 30 years and at the time thought it was probably a mistake.

9. Good point sir!, But I do remember the strikes and the garbage piles of the seventies, I do remember that Labour were unbeleivably sodding hopeless, and it moulded the Tories response to dealing with the eighties.
    It reinforces my point and "strengthens" my apathy on politics....they are all sh!t!

10. Yep, none of them are any good. Could all be sorted at the next election with a little box that says none of the above, perhaps we would get politicians delivering what we want then.

11. I fear we are to blame more than them, HArold of the Gannex got labour into power by offering lots of stuff from the state for free, he then effectively put taxes for the low paid up, in in fact created many many more tax payers to pay for all this free stuff, so yes by the end of the seventies people were ready for a change and bought into the tax cut concept, which was needed, but that had to be paid for so labour promised to spend more and surprise surprise taxes go up again, and the people have dicovered they were voting for spin. We get who we vote for and they offer what they think we will support, if we have crap polititians it is because we chose them.

Peter

12. Fundamentallly, fcuk all right with it either...
    http://www.caliach.com/paulr/news/polltax/copy.html

The Poll Tax Riots, as they became known, were major acts of civil disobedience carried out in England. They were in protest against the poll tax introduced by Margaret Thatcher and her government.

13. Really?

So do you think that it is fair that an old couple in a reasonable sized house pay exactly the same amount as the family next door with 10 or more people living there. Poll Tax was based on the individual paying an amount. It was democratic. It was brought in the wrong way and suffered from a negative spin from the press, at a time when Thatchers poularity was on the wane. It is still the most inherently fair method of charging people for local resources.

14. I remember being in a very poor family in a lower end council estate being told that someone like Elton John would be paying the same poll tax as me...that seemed fair.