• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Mafioso membership

Should Supvr IS be considered members of the Mafioso

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Being a member of the Mafiosa fraternity it has come to my attention that there are a number of people claiming membership to this group. These people have one thing in common. . . .they are Supervisor IS trained!

It is my understanding that the Mafioso group was founded by the senior TOT and Traffic Officer in the Corps at the time of its inception. The criteria for membership was stipulated as having completed FofS or YofS training.

This being the case then Supervisor IS are not qualified for membership!!! I have added a poll to the post for those who are interested with a view to canvassing the views of the Mafiosa itself and those pretenders wishing to join.

Isn't the Mafioso just a little boys club where FofS's, YofS's, ToT's and Traffic's can get together once a year to talk about work? Surely thats what the Corps Dinner nights are for. I'd rather hit my head with a brick

Hlecter,

Could you explain what you consider the role of the Mafioso to be? If, in your view, its anything more than a social organisation why you wouldn't want the rest of the Ops team to be part of it?

Cool! My father (aged 76 now) taught on the first Yeoman's course and was a student on the third and on retirement was the Corps's senior Tfc Ofr - guess that makes him the Don of Dons!

He is/was still only another fcuking Scalie.

Being Cav, I'll get my coat and horse...

FaceLikeAPingPongBall said:
Cool! My father (aged 76 now) taught on the first Yeoman's course and was a student on the third and on retirement was the Corps's senior Tfc Ofr - guess that makes him the Don of Dons!
An excellent piece of history, my good man. Could you do us a favour and find out in which year that first course was run? I heard that the FofS was around before the YofS.

Perhaps we should ask ourselves what the Mafiosi stands for? If the maintenance of that 'pureblood' (ok - mixed-breed) supervisor grouping is essential for Corps harmony, then maybe we need therapy!

What was the original purpose of the Mafiosi and who is the executive authority these days anyway?

Who gives a monkey's chuff anyway - it hardly needs a pointless bitching session eh?

What happens at some point in the future where someone feels that there is no longer a need for FofS or YofS (heresy? maybe, but we are at the start of a very strange route in terms of Corps skills requirements). Will the mafiosi die with the last man? More likely that Sup IS is subsumed and the skills replace those of the existing mafiosi - what then? Will you stop accepting future 'YofS' because their skill sets have changed?

Food for thought. Branch out, expand, accept that most Ops Rms now have YofS, FofS and a Sup IS.

Just playing devil's advocate. I am none of the above.
:hump:

Hey hlecter, you sure do love those exclamation marks!!!!!!

You're not one of those Daily Mail readers are you? "Geeks, coming over here, taking our jobs...." etc etc. Chin up, old chap and out and let's move with the times. I know that change is hard to accept sometimes, but at least let us know what your particular gripe is. Maybe we can all work together for a better future eh? Which flavour of mafioso are you, by the way? The equipment manager or the crypto and spectrum manager?

hlecter said:
Being a member of the Mafiosa fraternity it has come to my attention that there are a number of people claiming membership to this group. These people have one thing in common. . . .they are Supervisor IS trained!

It is my understanding that the Mafioso group was founded by the senior TOT and Traffic Officer in the Corps at the time of its inception. The criteria for membership was stipulated as having completed FofS or YofS training.

This being the case then Supervisor IS are not qualified for membership!!! I have added a poll to the post for those who are interested with a view to canvassing the views of the Mafiosa itself and those pretenders wishing to join.
Im sure the IS Supervisors will be dismayed with this, ridiculous elitist rubbish.
SP

Snagglepuss said:
Im sure the IS Supervisors will be dismayed with this, ridiculous elitist rubbish.
Dismayed? Mildly amused more like. At least young Hannibal The Lectern is trying to start an argument, it was getting really really boring there for a while.

Not to worry, lads, in about 2 or 3 years the argument will be nugatory, as they (cue spooky music) will rearrange and whittle down the number of supervisory rosters by approximately one. Let's just have fun in the meantime slagging each other off. Huzzah!

PoisonDwarf said:
An excellent piece of history, my good man. Could you do us a favour and find out in which year that first course was run? I heard that the FofS was around before the YofS.

Perhaps we should ask ourselves what the Mafiosi stands for? If the maintenance of that 'pureblood' (ok - mixed-breed) supervisor grouping is essential for Corps harmony, then maybe we need therapy!

What was the original purpose of the Mafiosi and who is the executive authority these days anyway?

Who gives a monkey's chuff anyway - it hardly needs a pointless bitching session eh?
Ref my last - spoke to pops and the first Yeomans course was in 1961 (and at Catterick). Seven bods passed this course and gained the knickname 'The Magnificent 7'! Dad was on the second coures, not the third. Before 'yeomen' there was an appointment of 'Signal Centre Supervisor' Blanford traffic wing (or what ever it is called nowadays) has the corse photo of EVERY yeomans course since 1961!

Here endith the history lesson!

As to the Mafioso, it has his seal of approval as Don of Dons but as to membership he says, if Supervisor IS join it'll be the start of the slippery slope to Badges/QM types wanting membership!

Blanford traffic wing (or what ever it is called nowadays) has the corse photo of EVERY yeomans course since 1961!
Old School Building. J Corridor I think (the one on the left after the display case full of PRI tat as you walk down from the museum). Where the senior instructors have their offices.

hlecter said:

I know exactly where you are coming from mate!

I saw a bloke marching across the square yesterday, his neck was in the back of the collar, his elbows were locked, as were his wrists with his thumbs pressing down on the forefinger. His chuffing heels were digging in a 30" pace and get this............he was only fcuking "looking up everywhere" as well!

I followed him to the stores where he proceeded to sign for a norwegian container for a fcuking range day that he was organising off his own bat!! Sheesh the fcuking cheek of it.

Anyway, being RD myself I know this bloke isn't drill-trained, isn't a storeman, isn't working in the training wing and in fact is a troop staffy. He is not therefore bloody qualified for membership of the RD fraternity, the cheeky little fcuker.

I know there are more like him out there too.......

I only wish I'd been as forthcoming as you and had the balls to end this nightmare with a poll. At least I could have canvassed the views of the RD Fraternity or even those pretenders wishing to join.

Congratulations on recently qualifying by the way. I can tell it's recent.......somehow :roll:

E-Layer said:
Anyway, being RD myself I know this bloke isn't drill-trained, isn't a storeman, isn't working in the training wing and in fact is a troop staffy. He is not therefore bloody qualified for membership of the RD fraternity, the cheeky little fcuker.
Nice note in sarcasm, E-Layer. Long may it continue.

I am often bemused (personality defect y'see) at the guys who proclaim "who me? RD mate...I don't do comms" but as SNCOs they all know fine well that they're employed in trade. So even if this cheeky blighter and keen soldier had done willies, skillies and drillies (and class 1 tech sup spec of course) he needs that nice SSgt-WO2 promotion board in order to join your fraternity. Yeah yeah...I know it's pedantic, but I can't help it. I have chronic keyboard diaorrhea or summat like that.

By the way, hlecter, it's a shame that your lone post wasn't joined by anything approaching reason. Maybe when you're a bit older and less green-around-the-gills, you can re-open the thread, eh? Bless.

jimmys_best_mate said:
Blanford traffic wing (or what ever it is called nowadays) has the corse photo of EVERY yeomans course since 1961!
Old School Building. J Corridor I think (the one on the left after the display case full of PRI tat as you walk down from the museum). Where the senior instructors have their offices.
Cool! I might just check it out this summer!

jimmys_best_mate said:
Cool! I might just check it out this summer!
I believe it is located in Communication Systems Group (Information Assurance Wing).

Poison dwarf asked for my particular gripe. As far as I am aware the Ops teams around the Corps still work in very much the way they did before the Supervisor IS was introduced. Having spoken to other Ops team members the Supvr IS does nothing more than their IS requirement unless pushed.

If we accept that to be part of the Mafiosa why not the Ops Cpl/ Sgt and maybe the Ops Officer?

hlecter said:
Poison dwarf asked for my particular gripe. As far as I am aware the Ops teams around the Corps still work in very much the way they did before the Supervisor IS was introduced. Having spoken to other Ops team members the Supvr IS does nothing more than their IS requirement unless pushed.

If we accept that to be part of the Mafiosa why not the Ops Cpl/ Sgt and maybe the Ops Officer?
And what does a Yeoman or Foreman do that is more than their requirement? There are Supervisors' IS all over the Corps integrated into Operations teams who take a full part in the Units Operation/Exercise planning. The Yeoman and Foreman do their parts, and the Supervisor IS does theirs - and when one is away the workload is shared.

Now, a criteria surely for the Mafioso membership is having completed a supervisory course. You wouldn't invite the Ops Offr/Sgt/Cpl as they haven't completed supervisory training - theres a given.

So is your point of view that membership of the Mafioso is having completed the Yeomans or Foremans course? If that is the case, i cannot see the benefit of the Mafioso in terms of achieving any business without all 4 supervisory rosters being a part of it - the Corps has moved on too far since the inception of the Mafioso for that. However, if the Mafioso is now about the tradition of the Yeoman and Foreman, going back to the founding at 4 Div and 7 Sigs and therefore its limited to Yeoman and Foreman, so be it and long may it survive. If you are guarding the opinion that the Supervisor IS and Supervisor Radio are of little value compared to the Yeoman and Foreman, i fear you may be pi55ing on your own boots.

Latest Threads