Madrid 03/11

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by scotscop, Mar 11, 2004.

?
  1. Al Queda

47.6%
  2. ETA

26.2%
  3. ETA with Al Queda help

26.2%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Europe saw the biggest act of terrorism since Lockerby.
    The Spanish are insisting it was ETA acting alone.

You forgot "U.S. government-sponsored" :roll:

Come on people, wakey wakey...

3. GunnersQuadrant

GunnersQuadrant LE Moderator

8O You shock even me Eagle my old friend. Even though they are denying it, ETA could never have pulled this off without someones help/training/cash. Osamas Army at work in the West again possibly due to the fact that Spain played a big part on the war on terror.

...just fed-up with the whole thing.

I think it's all a bit..."convenient"...

Ah, whatever, yeah Al-Q did it.... :|

5. There will be hell to pay in Spain soon...........

6. Guys!

Mouth - engage - Think!!

Ok. I will go to my kennel.

7. GunnersQuadrant

GunnersQuadrant LE Moderator

The retribution i think he means colly......

8. Yes of course.

I am speaking from my recent folly.

Sorry.

9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Chaps (and particularly ManchesterMonkey) - you forgot the bleeding obvious ETA with PIRA support/training etc. Surely the entire advice from PIRA/Sinn Fein when they were talking with ETA was demonstrating the success of a bloody campaign (enniskillen, birmingham etc.) - If Spain want to blame anyone they should blame our current fcking government for giving in to the terrorists in NI.

ETA with PIRA IMHO.

10. No happy, i dont think i did forget your "bleeding obvious" - there is nothing to suggest PIRA involvement whatsoever, your statement may have been more credible if you'd said the Real IRA as your chosen terrorist organisation.

11. I read several sources saying ETA is generally staffed by youngsters (mostly sub 30). Can't help speculate this was a "youthful mistake" in the scale of devastation caused. Most bombs are small and don't kill that many. These bombs were estimated not much bigger. Obviously they were planted and scaled just right to do monster damage. I reckon that was chance; maybe the youngsters were too scared to make the warning phone calls, risked other compromise or simply underestimated the charge strength (lack of experience).

I think the aim was wide-spread havoc (standard ETA) and kill maybe 3-4 per bomb, but they stuffed up. Look at the charges used by AQ to kill big numbers - Bali was nearly half a ton, 9/11 was 500 tons or more of fuel. Irish "spectaculars" are measured in tons. Last year the Spanish Police stopped a half ton truckload heading to Madrid - that was likely for one big bang. I think they accidentally invented the clusterbomb here. Note the Basque politico's aren't denying it directly - I think they don't know or recognise it was a "mistake".

IF I'm right it could be an indicator that ETA's old hands have quit. Let's hope that means the end's in sight.

12. After revelations that a van was discovered with detonators and Islamic prayer tapes in it doesn't it seem like the perfect staging of a scapegoat by the ETA who were discovered earlier with 1000 lb of explosives ec of similar type to the ones used in the incident.

Never mind Roger Rabbit, "Who framed Al Quaeda".

13. Looks to be about 50/50 just now...

ETA caught previously with the same type of explosive used...

Al-Q splinter group claims responsibilty and Koran tape and dets found nearby...

Also, if it was ETA, why haven't they claimed responsibility yet. If you pulled off something like this, wouldn't you want to let the world know? What's in it for them otherwise?

On the other hand, the choice of target is unlikely to help their cause much. In the past they seem to have restricted themselves to government targets and have given prior warning if there is likely to be large numbers of civpop around.

We'll see...

14. Interestingly many of ETA's 'older' leadership have been arrested over the course of the last 12 months or so and they appear to have a largely new leadership.

This could have lead to a general change of tactics (they weren't getting very far were they?) or as referred to above a c*ck up.

I'm afraid I think its a change of tactics.

15. I've seen comment today that suggests the explosives had previously been used by ETA - just not in the last twenty or so years. (some stuff called Goma-2, not as previously reported Titadine.link) Also, the official line that it had been stolen in Spain has been discredited (no theft of the explosive reported within the last year).

It all begins to sound a bit like the Prestige - remember that? The main concern of the Spanish authorities appeared to be spinning that it was somehow connected with Gibraltar and Britain's fault, whilst forbidding the salvors to bring her into port in Spain and hencely covering their Atlantic coast with oil.

(mind you, this would suggest all the above is bollox)