Madeleine McCann: Police To Dig For Evidence

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
A HEARTLESS TV reporter has sparked outrage after she made a cruel Twitter joke at the expense of missing Madeleine McCann.
Rita Marrafa de Carvalho told her followers she got her son and his pals to behave at a party by warning: “Stop or I’m going to call the McCanns.”

Heartless TV reporter sparks fury after joking that she got her son to behave by shouting 'stop or I’m going to call the McCanns'

All aboard the outrage bus!
The Sun editorial staff have very wisely not permitted comments on the matter.

The cops reckon there could be another breakthrough with identifying a prime suspect (no DCI Jane Tennyson methods here) according to the Fail. The Fail was quoting the local rag out there being the Correio da Manha newspaper.

Cheers

Police 'are closer than ever to solving Madeleine McCann case as officers identify prime suspect' | Daily Mail Online
Should this headline not read 'police are closer than ever to being allocated permanent funding for their Portuguese jollies in the sun'?.

Add to that, the absolute lack of a body.
No bar to a successful murder prosecution under U.K. law.

October 2012: April Jones (5) reported missing. Mark Bridger arrested within twenty four hours and charged with murder five days later. Despite there being no body, he was convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment with a whole life order.

Now there are about two murder cases without a body each year in England and Wales. This is largely because of a law change following a murder case in Wales in 1954.​

October 2012: April Jones (5) reported missing. Mark Bridger arrested within twenty four hours and charged with murder five days later. Despite there being no body, he was convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment with a whole life order.

Now there are about two murder cases without a body each year in England and Wales. This is largely because of a law change following a murder case in Wales in 1954.​
I'm not sure though how that will translate in Portuguese law

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Yeah, right...

The chap (if he exists) has only had 12 years to cover his tracks, hasn't he?
You say that as if there's only one person responsible for the death, and definitely male.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

True, but in the Bridger case there were remains.
Most people are unlikely to have fragments of a juvenile human skull in a domestic woodburner.

True, but in the Bridger case there were remains.
Most people are unlikely to have fragments of a juvenile human skull in a domestic woodburner.
Indeed but technically still convicted on circumstantial evidence and no body. From Mr Justice Williams' sententencing remarks...

"How you disposed of her body must remain a mystery. It will serve no purpose for me to speculate as to what happened but all the indications are that you burnt at least a part of her in the wood burner.​
Presumably and based on HHJ Williams' choice of words, no DNA evidence was available to definitively say the bone fragments were April's. Of course, there was no other conclusion to draw in reality.

The absence of a body simply means the prosecution's evidence has to more compelling but...

There are about two murder cases without a body each year in England and Wales. This is largely because of a law change following a murder case in Wales in 1954.

I'm not sure though how that will translate in Portuguese law
Portugal have also prosecuted and convicted with no body.

Joana Cipriano was an eight-year-old Portuguese girl who disappeared from the village of Figueira, near Portimão, in the Portuguese region of the Algarve on 12 September 2004. After criminal investigation, she was later assumed to have been murdered, though her body was never found.​

The investigation by the Portuguese Judiciary Police (Polícia Judiciária - PJ) ended with the conviction for murder of Leonor and João Cipriano, Joana's mother and uncle.​

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Sometime around 2419 an archeologist will dig up a skeleton and write a paper on a child buried without usual coffin and write a paper on human sacrifice during the 21st century.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Sometime around 2419 an archeologist will dig up a skeleton and write a paper on a child buried without usual coffin and write a paper on misuse of sedatives during the 21st century.
That's better.

If the girl was kidnaped by a paedophile the chances that she is alive is pretty much nil.

I can recall a few cases in the US where a disturbed woman, often someone whose child has died, will kidnap a child to raise as her own. If that happened there is a chance she is alive. Problem is that someone that disturbed is poorly organized and is likely to be recognized as such.
There's been a few rare ones

Kidnapping of Jaycee Dugard - Wikipedia

Ariel Castro kidnappings - Wikipedia

I cannot imagine what the poor parents go through.
Not sure if the problem is worse in the US but hospitals here have been very security conscious for many years. Thirty seven years ago when my son was a newborn parents were issued wristbands like the patients wear so we had access to the nursery 24/7. I would go over to the hospital to take the midnight and 2-3 AM feedings so my wife could sleep.
One evening I was visiting and the nurses accosted a man in a suit who arrived after visiting hours saying "Grandparents cannot visit after 8" I knew who he was as he was an orthopedic surgeon who had treated me for a knee injury. Nurses did not recognize him as newborns usually do not need orthopedic help. He examined his patient and ordered that the baby wear three diapers at one time to adjust his hip problem.

I cannot imagine what the poor parents go through.
Not sure if the problem is worse in the US but hospitals here have been very security conscious for many years. Thirty seven years ago when my son was a newborn parents were issued wristbands like the patients wear so we had access to the nursery 24/7. I would go over to the hospital to take the midnight and 2-3 AM feedings so my wife could sleep.
One evening I was visiting and the nurses accosted a man in a suit who arrived after visiting hours saying "Grandparents cannot visit after 8" I knew who he was as he was an orthopedic surgeon who had treated me for a knee injury. Nurses did not recognize him as newborns usually do not need orthopedic help. He examined his patient and ordered that the baby wear three diapers at one time to adjust his hip problem.
Surely he would have had ID issued by the hospital?

Surely he would have had ID issued by the hospital?
He did but had taken off the white coat and was wearing his suit jacket with the ID underneath as he checked the baby on the way home. I chatted with him as he had treated me in the past. The doctor had been a surgeon in the UK but moved to the US as he could not stand the way NHS was managed. A nice man he saved the live of my aunt once. Checking images of her spine he spotted an aneurysm that would have been life threatening and it got fixed, giving her many more years.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Sick Jokes 2
C Sick Jokes 2
Hat20 The NAAFI Bar 3

Latest Threads